Honored Contributor

Re: The flu shot does not prevent all strains of the flu :(

So sorry to hear your hubby is sick. My husband and I received flu shots yet caught the flu several years ago. It was a real mess being so sick at the same time. All we did was sleep and cough. I wish him a quick recovery. It took us about a week to feel better.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hubby had the shot and is now sick as a dog, spent all morning at urgent care and then the ER since the urgent care that is closest are huge misfits. Hubby has low BP all the time and it came up very low on the machine, the misfits should of done a manual pressure,, but they panciked big time  at the ER the pressure was low but normal for him. We left here at 10 and did not get home until after 5, what a fiasco.

it takes 2 weeks for the shot to work. if the sickness was immediate then he was already sick  at the time of the shot.  I got extremely sick when i got my shot in october but I was already sick  at the time and knew it. I just wanted to get the shot over with lol

Valued Contributor

I do not get a flu shot, due to a previous adverse reaction  (Guillian Barre syndrome: paralysis and 12 weeks hospitalization).  I do believe in immunizations, though--just those that are not contraindicated by my past history.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I can't believe that people don't know or understand that some vaccines (shingles, flu, pneumonia) do not promise 100% total immunity forever after.  They *lessen the possibility/probability of getting the disease, and it lessens the symptoms most of the time.

It's not a guarantee, it's "best POSSIBLE outcome" IF you get it, and hopefully you won't.

It's better odds than doing nothing, regardless of the "I've never had X, hahaha!" All it takes is once. Being in the wrong place, around the wrong person, at the wrong time. Once.

Far simpler to get a vaccine, and if it doesn't offer 100% guaranteed protection, you're still better off than if you hadn't had it.

ITA!! I get so tired of the misinformation here and the haha too.

BTW: It's not just an educated guess...they go by the strains from previous years and expand on it.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking it could depend on our individual systems.  Some folks just don't get the flu, ever, without shots.  Some do.  My great-great-whatever aunt, from what I've heard, used to take care of flu patients during a big flu epidemic, and she never became ill.  So, I've always thought that some of us are DNA or naturally immune to certain things, and some aren't.  Well, anything is possible.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm thinking it could depend on our individual systems.  Some folks just don't get the flu, ever, without shots.  Some do.  My great-great-whatever aunt, from what I've heard, used to take care of flu patients during a big flu epidemic, and she never became ill.  So, I've always thought that some of us are DNA or naturally immune to certain things, and some aren't.  Well, anything is possible.   

@ROMARY

Oft times, elderly people had the same flu when they were younger and don't get it again.

That came up several years ago when it was thought the swine flu was coming.  I'd had it at a much younger age and was told I wouldn't get it again.

Honored Contributor

He got his shot early in November, I understand you can still catch the flu even if you have had the shot, it was the fiasco at urgent care that I am so ticked of, he kept saying my BP is low, but they were so disorganized that it did not penetrate Smiley Sad 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

66 yrs young....never had the flu......never bothered w/no flu shot.

"I don't fix what ain't broken."

@Mz iMac  That is where I am at.  I have not even had a cold in over 4 years.  I accredit this to my excellent diet, and supplementation.

Honored Contributor

For those of you who have never had the flu, you are very lucky..It's terrible

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I had the flu about a year ago despite having the vacciine, but it was more like a horrible cold than the flus I had when a young person. I think the shot did make me have something a bit milder.

I actually _got_ the swine flu that was a fizzle in the 1970s and was so poor I just toughed it out.  I crept out to Broadway and bought oranges, fruit, water, and a tiny TV to keep me company, because I was confined to my bed for over a week.

I am really scared of the flu and have been getting a flu shot for about the last 10 years.  Last year, the reason I am not sure I had it is that I did not run a high fever.  But it hung on way after a cold would. . .a lot like the flu does.  Like a houseguest that can't take a hint.