Honored Contributor

The flu shot does not prevent all strains of the flu :(

Hubby had the shot and is now sick as a dog, spent all morning at urgent care and then the ER since the urgent care that is closest are huge misfits. Hubby has low BP all the time and it came up very low on the machine, the misfits should of done a manual pressure,, but they panciked big time  at the ER the pressure was low but normal for him. We left here at 10 and did not get home until after 5, what a fiasco.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: The flu shot does not prevent all strains of the flu :(

66 yrs young....never had the flu......never bothered w/no flu shot.

"I don't fix what ain't broken."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I hope you husband is better.  I had two flu shots in my lifetime and never again.  Actually, I never had the flu.  Bronchitis, yes, but not the flu.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I get the flu shot every year and never had a reaction. This year I had the high dose for people over 65. I got sick to my stomach and was shivering. This lasted until morning and then I was ok.

Honored Contributor

I have never had the flu and never got a flu shot.

My husband gets a flu shot every year and he got the flu several times after getting his flu shot. 

Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

66 yrs young....never had the flu......never bothered w/no flu shot.

"I don't fix what ain't broken."

Thank you, MzIMac!  I'm your age and feel the same way not only about flu shots but about doctors and the medical profession in general.  I stay away from both as much as I can.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hubby had the shot and is now sick as a dog, spent all morning at urgent care and then the ER since the urgent care that is closest are huge misfits. Hubby has low BP all the time and it came up very low on the machine, the misfits should of done a manual pressure,, but they panciked big time  at the ER the pressure was low but normal for him. We left here at 10 and did not get home until after 5, what a fiasco.

@I am still oxox  sorry to hear about your day.  I always wonder how that happens.  My DS swears the flu shot gave her the worst flu ever.  I've had one every year for the past 18 years and got the flu once.  I believe in them and will continue to get one.  

They should have asked your DH if this is normal BP and acted accordingly.  I really have not been impressed with Urgent Care facilities.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't believe that people don't know or understand that some vaccines (shingles, flu, pneumonia) do not promise 100% total immunity forever after.  They *lessen the possibility/probability of getting the disease, and it lessens the symptoms most of the time.

It's not a guarantee, it's "best POSSIBLE outcome" IF you get it, and hopefully you won't.

It's better odds than doing nothing, regardless of the "I've never had X, hahaha!" All it takes is once. Being in the wrong place, around the wrong person, at the wrong time. Once.

Far simpler to get a vaccine, and if it doesn't offer 100% guaranteed protection, you're still better off than if you hadn't had it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It never does protect against all strains.  They have to make an educated guess which strains are going to be prevalent ahead of time.  They are not always correct.  

Respected Contributor

The last time I was injected with an immunization I ended up with pneumonia.  I never get a flu shot and I never get the flu.  Scare tactic and money-maker for drug companies.