Respected Contributor

I've been watching a lot of the Rat Pack videos on YouTube lately. I love them all but I think one of my favorites is The Rat Pack Dean Martin King Of Cool. I think he's best when he is live and not scripted. Watching all of them together and watching Dean Martin as a solo, always makes me smile. If you like them or him alone, look up some of the videos. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

I have seen them a couple of times years and years ago in Vegas.  One time when we went to see Sammy Davis, Jr and they all showed up and another time when we went to see Sinatra.  

Trusted Contributor
Wow DiAnne - lucky you!
Valued Contributor

I can't even imagine being lucky enough to see them live, that's amazing! I have to console myself with the video I can find. I have to say I love Dean, he's hilarious. I really enjoyed the Frank Sinatra Spectacular they filmed at the Kiel Opera House as a fundraiser for Dismas House. Absolute best dvd I've ever bought in my life. Magic.

Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

I've been watching a lot of the Rat Pack videos on YouTube lately. I love them all but I think one of my favorites is The Rat Pack Dean Martin King Of Cool. I think he's best when he is live and not scripted. Watching all of them together and watching Dean Martin as a solo, always makes me smile. If you like them or him alone, look up some of the videos. 

Oh gosh, they were the best...Dean was so relaxed, no effort at all, Sammy Davis, Jr., what a talent.  I loved the Rat Pack.  One of my favorite comedians was Buddy Hackett, saw him in Vegas, laughed so hard my face hurt.   Right now with the world in such a mess we can all use some laughter, time to go see a good comedian or a funny movie.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille

I have several CDs by Dean and Frank that are favorites of mine.

There is a relatively unknown jazz singer that does Dino/Sinatra songs as part of his act that DH and I have seen many times.

If you enjoy that kind of music, Slim Man has a CD of ratpack music.  We are going to see him (again) at Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis in November.

Honored Contributor

I even liked Joey Bishop, stone faced, but he could be funny, loved his sitcom.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Rat Pack

[ Edited ]

What a fabulous experience, DiAnne.  My one opportunity to see Sinatra, I blew.  It was in the very early '70s when I worked in Washington, D.C.   At that time -- and I don't know if you recall this -- Sinatra's star was not that high.  It happens to the best of them, although it is hard to believe this now after Sinatra was returned to the pantheon of artists.  So, I guess I wasn't that hot to see him.

He was coming to a large area arena, and some in my office were giddy to go to see him.   We were going as a group, which is a fun thing when you're young.   I paused.  As I recall, the one wildest to see him was a woman, a bit older than I, who was originally from Scotland.  As I learned later, British fans really are the best.  (Mean this sincerely.)  So I, having seen Tony Bennett at the Kennedy Center the previous Fall, I believe, decided against seeing Sinatra because I felt comfortable with having seen someone similar (up to debate, of course).  Been kicking myself ever since my missed opportunity.

But lucky you!

[The Beatles, Boy Dylan et al. really kicked old favorites to the curb in the late '60s and early '70s.  All the older singers and groups struggled mightily, including Elvis and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, etc.  There had been a sea change in music.] 

Trusted Contributor

I saw Sinatra three times, at Carnegie Hall, Radio City Music Hall, and the Meadowlands.  I love his voice.

Honored Contributor

stuyvesant,

Lucky, lucky, lucky YOU!  Talk about knowing to see the best.