Honored Contributor

Re: The Rat Pack

[ Edited ]

There's a good show on the Reelz channel called The Kitty Kelley Files. She did the show about Frank Sinatra that I found very interesting. This is one of several of her 'unauthorized biography' series on the Reelz channel. Very fascinating series.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76, when I was at the Meadowlands, Liza Minnelli sang New York, New York.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Rat Pack

[ Edited ]

stuyvesant,

I saw Joel Grey at a nightclub in Miami.   Once again, I saw the lesser star.  LOL

When Liza sang "New York, New York,"  did you get up and sing and dance?  I would not have been able to hold myself back.  (Loads of laughs...)

While in Miami, I enjoyed Tom Jones and Ann Margret at clubs.  At the Miami Auditorium, I was privileged to hear the great soprano Maria Callas, but she was at the end of her career and had lost her precious and incomparable voice by that time.

Miami was a good environment to catch acts.  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman That's so funny. Someone mentioned Slim Man and I forgot about him.Thanks you for the suggestion. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille

He has a website and videos on YouTube. 

He talks about having performed for Sinatra's wife and getting her stamp of approval.

I do not have the newest CD, because he just released it.  Was going to wait and buy it at the concert in December.

Honored Contributor

I listened to Sinatra records every night growing up. My dad got home late, so Mom would feed us earlier, then she and Dad ate later by candlelight and Sinatra. I loved his music. My favorite album of his was the songs by Cole Porter. When I was a teenager, I researched Cole Porter and was enchanted by the story. He is still my favorite composer. 

I tried to see Sinatra every time he was on TV, and those of you who saw him in concert are really lucky. I'm definitely going to look up Slim Man.

Maybe someone who comes close to his style of singing is Harry Connick, Jr. What do you think?

I love learning about "Old Hollywood." That interests me much more than what is going on today. I don't know much about the Kardashians and others, and I like it that way! They made a movie about the Rat Pack. I never saw the whole thing, but I'd like to now! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille@golding76@stuyvesant I was never able to see Sinatra performing in person. But in the early 80's I was able to see Liza with Joel Gray as the opening act. That had to be one of the best concerts ever !

Honored Contributor
The only person we've seen remotely connected to the Rat Pack was Don Rickles. No, not a singer, but he was of that genre. Good friends with Frank Sinatra et al. I wasn't wild about their music then, but now am really liking music that was 'before my time'. 50's music and 50's music and 60's music that I was too young to remember. Last month, we had tix to see Tom Jones in LA. Wasn't wild about his music as a teenager, but thought it would be nice to see him. Before, well, before he no longer performs. Unfortunately, the concert was cancelled/postponed till next May as he fell ill.....So, I'll see him then. Great seats!
Honored Contributor

If you haven't seen Robin and the 7 Hoods, it's a real treat.

Robin and the 7 Hoods

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I also grew up hearing Dean's, Bing's, Frank's music.  I loved the Dean Martin TV Hour!  He was the King of Cool,

and yet so funny! Handsome and had that silky voice!!  Also loved Frank's voice and still listen to several tapes of his music. I am green with envy at you all who were able to see them in person!! Smiley Happy   

Have to say though, I did get to see my Johnny Mathis

in person as well as Elvis.....