Honored Contributor

Re: The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I was also in a small private high school, but for some reason, they allowed us to take general ed classes if we had the time, and I'm glad they did! I can't imagine why schools don't teach everyone the basics for navigating adulthood.

@PA Mom-mom  I don't think the schools even thought like that when I was in school. I graduated in 1965.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy Me too - bought myself a S-C (Manual of course - never heard of electric)..............in BLUE.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo Loved Loved the IBM Selectric.    Could make that thing 'sing".

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

For some reason in our small high school, if you were in college prep classes, typing wasn't offered. My parents had one of those old klunkers and I wanted to learn so I taught myself. Used the phrase previously mentioned..Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

Typing wasn't offered at my high school.  It was an elective in junior high.  

Esteemed Contributor

I taught business education courses for 4 years. Taught typing every semester. Yes, I remember! When the selectric with limited memory was developed, it was a dream for those frequently typed phrases. It felt so 'modern' to use. I never taught shorthand - that was faded by the time I taught -- but I remember it and still use it for notes. It's like driving a manual transmission -- just one of those things you don't want to forget how to do.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Funny, I learned typing circa:  1970 or so and I've never heard, let alone have typed:  The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog.

The sentence I was taught, and that I would type over n over was "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

I wonder if that was a regional thing?  I grew up in NJ.  I began typing on a manual 'Underwood' black typewriter that was my grandmothers.  When I was taught typing in high school, the IBM Selectric was just coming into vogue and can I say that was the most fabulous typewriter EVER!!!  And then when they came out w/the correction key - well that was just the best.  Something about the touch on those machines, my fingers could fly.

I think those of us who were taught on manuals and the early electrics were very good typists because we know what a hassle it was to correct a typo.  And then if you were typing multiple copies and had to correct each copy - you learned to type correctly and pronto.  My fastest speed in high school was 112 wpm.  My competition was a boy named Charlie who was also above 100 but he couldn't quite match me.  That's really the only talent I ever had.  Woman Wink

@jellyBEAN 

That phrase was used because it has every letter of the alphabet in it.  So it forces you to use all fingers.  Remember how often on the manuals the 'q' or 'p' might be lighter than the other letters because your pinky fingers weren't as strong as your other fingers?

You were fast at 112 wpm!  I can't remember what my top speed ever was, but I know it wasn't nearly that high! 👍👏

Honored Contributor

When we use to have typing speed tests the guy next to me and myself would compete.  It was such fun.  I liked typing the one with the little ball on it.  Hated when we use to have to type with the carbon paper!!!  Computer typing is so much kinder on that.  

I once read this joke:  I don't know how fast I type but I can white-out at 60 wpm.  LOL

I mean, I thought it was funny.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Oh, I loved typing!  Like you, learned on a manual.

I can still hear the sounds of a roomfull of students on keyboards when the teacher said, "begin!"

Not bragging, but I got my 90 wpm pin on a manual.

When electrics came along, I could do over 100 wpm.

Selectrics were heavenly after learning on a manual!

Contributor

Tansy, I also had a Smith Corona blue typewriter, but mine was electric.  It was the first electric typewriter I ever used.  I bought it when I went to college.

In our high school typing class our typewriters had no letters on the keys.  Touch typing was the rule!  It's like riding a bike--you never forget the keys, at least I haven't and it's many decades later!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I took intensive piano lessons all through my school years. I got an electric typewriter in hs typing class because I was so good.

When I got an IBM PC in my office I complained about the keyboard being slow.  The ComputerLand manager said they's just gotten a new typing test, so had me take it.  

I typed about 116 to 120 over several tests.  He looked at me and said "And you're unhappy!"  I said yes.  

He said nobody has ever topped 34 wpm in this entire store!  What would you be happy with?  I said at LEAST 132.  

They all gathered around and laughed and told me to get out and never mention this again!  Woman Very Happy  But I was in there so often for my office IT needs we were friends by then!  

I have adapted but then I'm not as fast as I used to be!  And I often was more accurate typing in foreign languages than English--I think because my brain didn't try to read AND type!  

@Sooner 

That was my average! I'm sure there were times that I exceeded 120. I remember my goal was 150 because, supposedly, my boy friend's sister could type that fast.

In any event.... I wonder if those piano lessons did have something to do with it...? (I think typing to tango music, though would slow me down!)

My D Mother taught me how to type way before I had typing class, so naturally, I was quick & accurate once I got into typing class.

I know the quick-brown-fox sentence, but my expert statement was "The cat is red, and that is the truth."  Which still whips out to this day!