Esteemed Contributor

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog

[ Edited ]

Remember that?? For the life of me I can't use a laptop keyboard. I have to have a separate keyboard, and even then I abuse it by hitting the keys too hard. I learned on the likes of this:

typewriter.jpg

And, my fingers want to hit the keys way too hard. Has this happened to you?

Honored Contributor

Re: The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog

@PA Mom-mom 

What a cool typewriter!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

What a cool typewriter!

@Drythe I didn't think so in typing class!

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Did you have to remind me!  I hated that phrase. Type it over and over and over and over, fill the whole page she said. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh  I could do it in my sleep!

Respected Contributor

I learned on a manual typewriter, too.  My typing teacher was great.  He brought in tango records and had us type in rhythm with the music.  He taught shorthand, too.  I remember him bringing the Guess Who's "American Woman" album to class and having us write the lyrics in shorthand as it played.  

He was a great teacher.  We are still very good friends....talk a couple times a month.  He's quite elderly now, but still a fun guy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was weird but I enjoyed my typing class so much.  I was very competitive😏 I bought myself the cutest blue Smith-Corona typewriter.

Respected Contributor

I learned to type of that thing too.  Maybe 8th grade?  I thought I would never learn the keys.  And then came along the IBM Selectric typewriter.  Rememer that one?  I had a hard time converting to the sensitivity of the keys and the speed.  

Now I'm using a Dell Latitude E5450 and the keyboard is driving me nuts.  If I accidently touch the pad everything I've typed disappears into dark space.  Or it jumps around and starts typing in the middle of some past sentence.  Anyone know how to solve that?

Honored Contributor

We used that phrase as a penmanship test with the old Palmer Method to earn a certificate. 

I don't remember using it in high school in typing class, though.

I do remember the teacher belting out A S D F G F ; L K J H J when first learning to type.  LOL

And yes, on those old typewriters than would be impossible to type on now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee  Good for you! My typing teacher came from Lowood School in Jane Ayre.Smiley Sad