Honored Contributor

Re: The Damage Has Been Done

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

Not leaving.  To post pics on the other site is more steps.  No and no!

It's actually pretty easy to post images once you get the hang of it. There are several options as to how to do it, but no as of now, copy and paste isn't an option. I gather it's being checked out as an option. I guess I didn't expect everything to be in place in less than a week. In fairness, these boards have been around for years and there are still regular glitches.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I did sign up on the other board but I am so happy that QVC decided to keep these boards up!  Thank you QVC for doing so!

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Hippiified - Thanks for the suggestion, but nothing has changed on my desktop settings.  The only thing that has changed is what happened when the Q made some kind of changes to their system quite a while back.

At the time, there were comments from numerous posters and the mods were relaying what they could to the I.T. team, as far as I knew.

Another example of what changed was trying to do a search in the "As Is" clearance section.  I used to be able to select several different brands to check out at the same time.  Now, if I try to do that, it reverts to a search of new items.  I have to select one brand at a time, which is nonsense.

I just tried that now on my iPad and it does the same thing, so it's not just an issue with MS Edge or the device.

I'm beyond worrying about it.  If the Q doesn't want to get their team to sort it out, that's up to them.

It happens randomly to me too.  The first few times it happened I thought I had just forgotten to log off, but then I started to really take note of it, especially when I log off for the last time at night.  And sometimes I have to log in twice.  I use Google Chrome.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cody2 wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

Apparently, some haven't visited the HSN boards recently. They were once alive with posters. Then, they closed them down temporarily. When they came back, there were fewer posters. Then they did it again. And again; all with the notice the forums would be "improved". It never gained momentum again.

In that case, some of the mods were friendly with posters on the boards. They were banning and suspending posters at the whim of the posters they befriended. It was shocking.

@cody2I don't even remember my board name over there as in no time flat it happened to me as well and I was shocked.  I was not a prolific writer or a shopper for that matter so it made no sense to me.  When I came here I read some posts that HSN mods were now working here and I thought oh great.  Some people here have said mods are not influenced by posters hitting the report button, I beg to differ.  I think they often do not read much of anything they have deleted or if they do, they don't understand what was said including nuance and dynamics of posting many times with the same people and even I'm in the dark at times.  Then there are some who get mistakenly "caught in the net."  Happened to me and I said what did I do, what did I say to bring this on?  Yeah I was caught in their net and it made me mad. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Not leaving.  To post pics on the other site is more steps.  No and no!

It's actually pretty easy to post images once you get the hang of it. There are several options as to how to do it, but no as of now, copy and paste isn't an option. I gather it's being checked out as an option. I guess I didn't expect everything to be in place in less than a week. In fairness, these boards have been around for years and there are still regular glitches.

@stevieb 

Thanks.  I don't expect everything to be in place after this extremely short time and those ladies have done one AMAZING job, but I believe the copy/past is is Pro Board wide.  Maybe it's the Pro Board server or the overall program for the master site.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  - It's not hard at all to post pictures on proboards. I've done it myself.  Will miss you over there.  Keep in mind, the Q did not say they are keeping the boards permanent.  They are still trying to push FB.  At least you have your account set up so when this forum closes permanently, you'll have a place to go.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I am not damaged by any of this.  It's working out quite well staying here.

I wasn't interested in going to a forum that is moderated by fellow posters.  

I'm sure that most forums are moderated as mentioned above--and it's probably quite unique that QVC has their customer service reps doing the monitoring here.  But I was always comfortable with that.  It's what they were paid to do.

No damage done.  I decided if they closed these forums I wouldn't go to one of the new one talked about here.

@Lucky Charm 

I feel the most important aspect of a healthy board is good moderators performing good moderation. I'm not sure how a board will function when moderators are also active participants.

When I saw the call asking for moderators, I initially thought about throwing my hat in the ring. With my sleep issues, I could take the late night shift 😄. I am confident I could do a good job because to me adhering to guidelines,  honesty and fairness are paramount to a board's success. 

And then I came to my senses.😄😄😄

@magicmoodz 

Aww, I always thought you were a really cool poster.

It would be a good job for someone who is aloof to all the bull that goes on here.

It would be like me monitoring a sports related forum.  Don't care who's winning or losing. I've got no dog in the race.....

@Lucky Charm 

Awww, thank you for the compliment--such a day brightener.

I have long admired you. I respect your veganism, your keen sense of interior design (do we own the same silver clam shell lamp?😄) and we share a love for water. Your water is much, much larger than mine but still I feel blessed to live by water--it speaks to my soul.

@magicmoodz 

Okay, first I have to come clean, no, I don't have that lamp.  And the lamp you have is beautiful.  I opted for a clear crystal one (Artemis by Robert Abbey).  This place is so small that I needed something clear to give the illusion that it isn't cluttered.  Does that make sense?

I did have a collection of shells, including a huge clam shell and 3 or 4 smaller shells that were in the same likeness of your lamp.  Unfortunately, this place is so small, that I actually sold them at a flea market.  I didn't have the table space to display them!

I have an addiction to houseplants, it started when I was a child.Woman Embarassed

So they rule every available spot.

Now, back to moderation.  I would prefer anonymous moderators. Someone I've never posted with.  Someone whose posts I've never read.  Someone who is completely unknown to me in that context.

It's just how I am and how I feel about it, but can totally understand if others are okay with that.

I would actually feel more comfortable meeting posters on this board in person, rather than communicate with someone, basically unknown, through private messaging, on a board. 

That probably sounds crazy, but I feel like I would rather know them better that way than a *faceless* relationship. 

@Lucky Charm 

I didn't want to copy this long thread, but I couldn't create a new one, specifically to you. Weird!

Ok, now I have to 'fess up. I have new furniture on order and a few weeks ago I donated my clamshell lamp. I thought it would be too traditional with our new "look". I consider it  an act of benevolence, building good karma (I need all the grace I can get)😄 and  I  donate to a resale organization that helps support those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Your lamp really is beautiful and I totally understand the need to decorate in a manner that suits small spaces allowing energy to flow. My home is small too so I need to incorporate all the visual tricks to make it feel more spacious.

Moderation is a difficult job--kind of like a customer service representative. You should be able to listen to someone's grievances/criticism and maintain your cool. Firing back or engaging in a back and forth ON THE BOARD reflects poorly on all. And then there is bias--we are all biased to some degree and that is not a bad thing. It simply means we have strong convictions for what we believe.  But again, moderators need to be able to put their bias aside.

I think our written word can often be misunderstood. Is someone really that sarcastic or do they have a dry sense of humor? Meeting in person often clarifies our intent plus it is more fun to share a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

Well, enough of my musings. I'm sad to see summer weather coming to an end. Just a week ago we were marveling at all the sailboats still on the lake, but with each passing day we could see them "thin out". The good thing is it is Delacata squash season! I think we must have had Spinach Delacata Salad for dinner at least four times last week! 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs 

I received and email saying I joined, is it "mellyg.proboards"?  If so, guess I belong, if not then what?  TIA

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CherryHugs 

I received and email saying I joined, is it "mellyg.proboards"?  If so, guess I belong, if not then what?  TIA

hckynut 

Yes, that is it and you are registered..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Frequent Contributor

@pugvette74 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

From Q's point of view, in retrospect, they might have done better to pull the forums without advance notice.  That wouldn't have given people the chance to organize, to revolt, and set-up an alternative.

I'm just thinking out loud - not saying I'd support such an approach.

@ValuSkr  - When they shut down the forums permanently in 2022, I bet they won't give any notice then.  They won't want a repeat of what happened this week.  

Please stop spending that QVC will permanently close the forums in 2022. You have NO proof, yet you keep saying it. Why are you here saying that? The posters that are here are happy and enjoying the forums.

Go and enjoy your new board...

Yup.  I have a problem with that as well.  Suspicions aren't facts, though a few are surely stating them as if they are and I have to wonder why.  Yes, I admit I am a skeptic when it comes to anything internet and forums, both corporate run and privately run.  The internet is what they internet is - time will tell if all the praise on behalf of either site is deserved.