Trusted Contributor

Are your dept stores well-stocked?

I rarely shop there, but I went to Kohl's this morning. I noticed many of there display shelves and racks that hold stacks of clothes, were empty,  or almost empty. One long display shelf had only three shirts on it.. the salesgirl said that's all they had come in. Yikes. I am saving lots of money this year.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are your dept stores well-stocked?

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover wrote:

I rarely shop there, but I went to Kohl's this morning. I noticed many of there display shelves and racks that hold stacks of clothes, were empty,  or almost empty. One long display shelf had only three shirts on it.. the salesgirl said that's all they had come in. Yikes. I am saving lots of money this year.

This is really complicated because a lot of retailers are very shy about ordering a ton of inventory when they're really not sure how things will be going this winter as the pandemic picks up and flu season starts.

Likewise manufacturers did not produce a lot because of the same uncertainty. So now we're caught with low inventories and demand that may or may not even be there.  I just bought a number of things from Amazon today, another twist because a lot of folks have ordered online and don't shop at retail stores like they used to long before Covid.

Respected Contributor

I stopped at Target this morning and the shelves and racks were full.

Plenty of sweaters, I can't believe what I saw, you know a bulky knit sweater.....they had pull on pants to match...yes, sweater pants, say NO to those.  TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE

Saw the dresses somebody posted a week or so ago, yes, that entire brand looks like Little House on the Prairie.

Our Target is getting an entire remodel, it looks brighter, neater, cleaner and more expensive.  Priced a bottle of Lysol Laundry Sanitizer, the larger bottle was $9.99 not too long ago but now its $11.79.

Christmas just coming out and Halloween priced at 50% off.

Honored Contributor

Although I've ordered from Macy's I haven't actually been on any of their floors.  Have to return something tomorrow and I will check out what the inventory situation is.  I'm hoping they have some winter coats on the floor.

Respected Contributor

What I'm saving on empty clothes shelves I'm spending on the increased price of coffee

Honored Contributor

I haven't been in a department store in over a year, don't really miss it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I went to Macy's this summer because I wanted a nice pair of shorts for an outing that same week.  It was the first time I'd been in a Macy's store in years.  It was depressing; the store was half as full as I'd remembered and sales clerks were nowhere to be found.  In desperation I settled on something to buy but haven't worn it since.

Honored Contributor

I haven't stepped foot in a local department store for 8 years, so I have no idea what's out there right now!   Can't say I'm even interested enough to make a trip to find out.

Trusted Contributor

The Macy's here locally has gone down hill.  Dirty floors, departments are not kept organized and they have really decreased their amount of inventory.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I haven't stepped foot in a local department store for 8 years, so I have no idea what's out there right now!   Can't say I'm even interested enough to make a trip to find out.

Same for me.