Honored Contributor

Re: That Double Rainbow - Something Magical

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Someitmes a rainbow is just a rainbow.

@Love my grandkids To me, every rainbow is a promise.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only for those who haven't been taught otherwise.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Only for those who haven't been taught otherwise.

"Taught" by intuition or taught by experience; either way a consolation and a comfort.

Esteemed Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

@jlkz   Your post really hit home for me.  In 2015 my mom passed.  After the funeral and the post-funeral gathering with friends and extended family, my brother, 6 sisters and I were sitting on the deck back at the family home.

Mom was very close with a great-aunt of ours and about 45 years before, that aunt dug up and brought over some day lilies that had been in her yard and that mom loved as a young girl.  The lilies bloomed for years and years in the back right hand corner of our yard and mom could see them from the kitchen door.

As of 2015, we had not seen any for a few years and figured they were either overcrowded or the many trees around were taking all the nutrients. 

As we were talking one of my sisters pointed and said "Look!".  In the back right hand corner of the yard  but on the OTHER SIDE of the fence was a single fully blossomed day lily looking back at us.

We all smiled and said "love you, mom.".  There may be a clinical and scientific explanation for this as well as rainbows,  but for 8 heartbroken adult children it will 

always be proof that there are no barriers a mother won't try to cross to comfort her children.

So if someone sees a rainbow in the sky, finds a penny on the sidewalk, is visited by a cardinal or a butterfly and feels connected in that moment to someone they have loved and lost----please don't be the one to put a pin in their balloon.  It is so much easier and infinitely more kind to just take pleasure in their moment of joy and solace.

What a beautiful heartfelt post @781Florist  I had a similar experience. My father died of lung cancer.  During his chemo a friend of mine gave me yellow daffodils, and said this is the flower of hope give them to your father. I did not know they were the flower of hope. 

After my father's death I was out in my yard, and there was one single daffodil poking out of the grass. I smiled and took it as a sign from my father. I never saw another daffodil in my yard again. 

That rainbow yesterday gave me chills. The weatherman I watch was asounded. He said look at this massive storm over Great Britian. To think the clouds parted at that very moment to reveal a rainbow is....He trailed off. 

Yes, just let us take comfort. 

Valued Contributor

I don't understand why some want to rain on others' parade.  If someone wants to find meaning in something beautiful, let them.  

Trusted Contributor

@781Florist  I love your post, thank you!  Surely it was your Mom giving you a sign.  And I completely agree with your last paragraph.  

~LdyBugz

Honored Contributor

I have expericed a sign from my husband, after he passed, we had said what i would like for it to be weeks before he passed, so i know for sure it can be, i wonder if the queen had a special  love for rainbows.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have expericed a sign from my husband, after he passed, we had said what i would like for it to be weeks before he passed, so i know for sure it can be, i wonder if the queen had a special  love for rainbows.

What a beautiful post @goldensrbest 

Respected Contributor

I take every rainbow as a sign from God, as I believe I'm meant to...but some do happen at certain times that give them even more meaning.

We attended a wedding last summer. The groom had been diagnosed only 3 weeks before with lymphoma, and had already lost a lot of weight, had dark circles under his eyes, and just looked very ill. He was determined, nevertheless, to go through with the wedding, which he did.

It had rained some during the day, but the sky was fairly clear when the outdoor ceremony began. When they came to the "in sickness and in health" part of the vows, the bride choked up a little, understandably. The pastor stopped the ceremony right there and said "most of you know what's going on, let's pray right now for this situation". He then said a beautiful prayer. As we raised our heads, he then said "Turn around". We all did, and there was the most beautiful rainbow behind us! There wasn't a dry eye anywhere after that!

A year later, following chemo & surgery, the groom is cancer-free and doing very well.

Honored Contributor

What an illuminating incident, @vermint .   Love the inspired courage of that pastor, acting in the moment, unafraid to broach the elephant in the room, and offer prayer.  It must have been extraordinary.