Reply
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎06-03-2017

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..


Great, now you're telling me how to write an email to my boss.  I'm glad you know my boss and understand my relationship with him so well.  


Why are you being so defensive? This is a forum people are replying and giving suggestions. 


@caravaggio  I did not ask for suggestions or edits.  A contributor asked me how I would handle a situation, and I responded with how I would handle it.  It is inappropriate and rude to start telling people how to do their jobs when advice is not solicited.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,516
Registered: ‎12-12-2010

@TenderMercies...we live in an arrogant world full of arrogant "me, myself & I" people.  Graciousness & thoughtfulness of others is all but a precious memory of our past.  I agree 100% that these people should accept the graciousness and provision of your board member or decline the invitation.

______________________________________________________________________________________
It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die.
~~Col. Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,426
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@TenderMercies wrote:

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..


Great, now you're telling me how to write an email to my boss.  I'm glad you know my boss and understand my relationship with him so well.  


Why are you being so defensive? This is a forum people are replying and giving suggestions. 


@caravaggio  I did not ask for suggestions or edits.  A contributor asked me how I would handle a situation, and I responded with how I would handle it.  It is inappropriate and rude to start telling people how to do their jobs when advice is not solicited.  


@TenderMercies this is an anonymous forum plain and simple nobody is forcing you to change how you do your job. You titled your post rant and so posters are trying to help you so you do not feel upset. I have been in the corporate world for a long time so I understand that if you say something the universe will reply back. Its how you move forward with that knowledge that reflects back on you. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,608
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@TenderMerciesMy thoughts are that  just let your boss know, like you said you would ,and stop reading,and posting for your own peace of mind,good luck.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎06-03-2017

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..


Great, now you're telling me how to write an email to my boss.  I'm glad you know my boss and understand my relationship with him so well.  


Why are you being so defensive? This is a forum people are replying and giving suggestions. 


@caravaggio  I did not ask for suggestions or edits.  A contributor asked me how I would handle a situation, and I responded with how I would handle it.  It is inappropriate and rude to start telling people how to do their jobs when advice is not solicited.  


@TenderMercies this is an anonymous forum plain and simple nobody is forcing you to change how you do your job. You titled your post rant and so posters are trying to help you so you do not feel upset. I have been in the corporate world for a long time so I understand that if you say something the universe will reply back. Its how you move forward with that knowledge that reflects back on you. 


@caravaggio For the record, my job is to collect information, assess the information, then present solutions to the situation to my boss who makes a decision.  If I were to follow that person's advice, I would not be doing my job.  I stand by what I said.  I did not solicit advice, so it is inappropriate to tell someone how to do their job, especially if it entails playing editor to someone's email to their boss.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,059
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..

 

Also is anyone actually talking to eachother or is this all email communication.  A mass email really is not the same as a personal invitation, that may have something to do with the tone of the responses.


I don't think she shoud put herself in the middle of this situation any more than she already is.  She passing on the information; she shouldn't have to handle anything to do with a dinner invitation to a party she is not hosting.


Was apparently asked to do something by her boss.  If she felt it was not part of her "job" then she should have said something then.  To do a job halfway then dump it on someone else is not how things should be done.  At least not if one is being professional



@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..

 

Also is anyone actually talking to eachother or is this all email communication.  A mass email really is not the same as a personal invitation, that may have something to do with the tone of the responses.


I don't think she shoud put herself in the middle of this situation any more than she already is.  She passing on the information; she shouldn't have to handle anything to do with a dinner invitation to a party she is not hosting.


Was apparently asked to do something by her boss.  If she felt it was not part of her "job" then she should have said something then.  To do a job halfway then dump it on someone else is not how things should be done.  At least not if one is being professional


What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” ~ Plato
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,492
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Thanksgiving Rant

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

 


What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  


 

From the original post....

 

"Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end"

 

This is dumping it, passing the buck whatever you want to call it.  Handling the task/situation in a professional manner is required.  Attitude is everything.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,748
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@TenderMercies wrote:

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@caravaggio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

Just curious, if (after rsvps are in) the hostess for some reason doesn't inquire about dietary restrictions, will you advise her of them?


@MJ12  Good questions.  I will send an email to my boss that says:

 

"Just so you know, I've had a few guests remind me that they are vegetarian and gluten-free.  I don't expect (board member) to make special dishes for them, especially when I imagine there will be ample options if the dinner incudes what a traditional Thanksgiving entails.  However, I also don't want (board member) to be caught off card or feel like she didn't get all necessary information about her guests, as that might be awkward if a conversation arises about these dietary issues."

 

Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end.  


A simple "How would you like me to handle it" after the first sentance would be the professional way to address it with your boss..


Great, now you're telling me how to write an email to my boss.  I'm glad you know my boss and understand my relationship with him so well.  


Why are you being so defensive? This is a forum people are replying and giving suggestions. 


@caravaggio  I did not ask for suggestions or edits.  A contributor asked me how I would handle a situation, and I responded with how I would handle it.  It is inappropriate and rude to start telling people how to do their jobs when advice is not solicited.  


@TenderMercies this is an anonymous forum plain and simple nobody is forcing you to change how you do your job. You titled your post rant and so posters are trying to help you so you do not feel upset. I have been in the corporate world for a long time so I understand that if you say something the universe will reply back. Its how you move forward with that knowledge that reflects back on you. 


@caravaggio For the record, my job is to collect information, assess the information, then present solutions to the situation to my boss who makes a decision.  If I were to follow that person's advice, I would not be doing my job.  I stand by what I said.  I did not solicit advice, so it is inappropriate to tell someone how to do their job, especially if it entails playing editor to someone's email to their boss.  


 

I don't think it realistic to post on a public forum and not expect advice, solicited or not.

 

It's the nature of the beast. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎06-03-2017

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

 


What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  


 

From the original post....

 

"Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end"

 

This is dumping it, passing the buck whatever you want to call it.  Handling the task/situation in a professional manner is required.  Attitude is everything.


@CrazyDaisy It is not dumping it at all.  It means that I have completed the task that was given to me, and the ball is in his court.  Again, you have no idea what my job entails, and the fact that you are so presumptious about it is rude and foolish.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,492
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Thanksgiving Rant

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

 


What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  


 

From the original post....

 

"Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end"

 

This is dumping it, passing the buck whatever you want to call it.  Handling the task/situation in a professional manner is required.  Attitude is everything.


@CrazyDaisy It is not dumping it at all.  It means that I have completed the task that was given to me, and the ball is in his court.  Again, you have no idea what my job entails, and the fact that you are so presumptious about it is rude and foolish.


You may not agree however I am standing by my assessment of the situation.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.