Trusted Contributor

Well, first, they should be grateful that they have been invited to someone’s home for Thanksgiving dinner. 

Second, if you have a food allergy...a real one, then yes, inform the host/hostess. If you choose not to eat a certain food because it is offensive to you or you are a vegetarian for an example.....that is their choice. They should accept the invitation and eat what they can or want. There would be no way I would prepare a special fish dish for one person, they can go to a restaurant. Sorry, that’s the way I feel, and I have been in this situation. These people should understand that it is Thanksgiving dinner after all...we all know what is traditionally served. 

Honored Contributor

CrazyDaisy wrote:

TenderMercies wrote:

CrazyDaisy wrote:

You may not agree however I am standing by assessment of the situation.

It really is getting pretty comical that you are continuing to tell her how to do her job after she has told you that she did exactly as she was supposed to do, and was instructed to do.

Trusted Contributor

@TenderMercies You do what you feel is right....period. I think what people will do or accomodate  for FAMILY and GOOD FRIENDS is way different then what people should be required to do when inviting relative STRANGERS to their home.

Being completely disabled and not an "all about the ME" person I do not expect anyones home to be ADA compliant. I might ask if they can accomodate my wheelchair is all (especially regarding bathroom LOL) and most will try to find a reaosnable approach but I dont expect anything out of the way. If they have alot of steps I simply decline and thank them profusely.  I do not want them to feel bad at all so is same difference.

I realize the world is not about me and mine....and respect the differences and requirements of many.......but if anyone is invited to my home from DH workplace this holiday they will either bring a dish or eat what is put in front of them.  If I am invited to anothers home I will be so gracious and find out if I can go or not...and NOT be offended if my needs are not met. Easy peasy hey you can replace that invitation and put me in there instead LOL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Stormy

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

You may not agree however I am standing by assessment of the situation.

It really is getting pretty comical that you are continuing to tell her how to do her job after she has told you that she did exactly as she was supposed to do, and was instructed to do.

Am not telling her what to do, truly do not care that much.  Just giving an assessment of the situation based on her own words.  If you find humor in my posts, glad I made you laugh.  As stated attitude is everything.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

Sounds like these are virtually strangers being invited to a higher up employees home. That in itself is gracious, but to have these people say they need options and request a different main dish is beyond rude to the host. 

no one really requested a "different main dish." they wanted to make sure that there were vegetarian and gluten free options available.

So then what does -  "I'd like to request either a fish or vegetarian meal." mean then if it isn't requesting a "different main dish" - at least for themselves?

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

Sounds like these are virtually strangers being invited to a higher up employees home. That in itself is gracious, but to have these people say they need options and request a different main dish is beyond rude to the host. 

no one really requested a "different main dish." they wanted to make sure that there were vegetarian and gluten free options available.

So then what does -  "I'd like to request either a fish or vegetarian meal." mean then if it isn't requesting a "different main dish" - at least for themselves?

Apparently it's an easy request to some. Ha ha, to me it's a rude request.

It wouldn't be necessarily easy to others who haven't prepared vegetarian dishes, or to do an extra fish dish. It's extra work, time shopping, looking up how to make it, too. They may not have any gluten free family-friends and have to look up that info, too. I think it's asking too much when you're an invited guest into someone's home.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Rant

[ Edited ]

Even if it's the classic - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash casserole, green bean casserole or a similar variation, there are plenty of veggies (maybe not the green beans if they have bacon or the stuffing if it has oysters or sausage), but pleanty of "options" for vegetarians surely.

For the gluten free, it might be more problematic - is turkey a problem - without the gravy?

What about cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes?  According to a site on eating Thanksgiving gluten free, it said these dishes rarely contain gluten (marshmallows are gluten free - I didn't know that).

I guess I'm just not seeing the huge problem. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

a vegetarian meal can easily mean the simple sides of a thanksgiving dinner.....i already listed NUMEROUS choices a host can place on the table and as  appetizer selections so i wont repeat them again. there doesnt have to be a "main dish" for a vegetarian necessarily.

i personally would not want to see someone in my home NOT eat because i did not know they had special dietary needs. i do like to make my guests feel comfortable in my home.....whether i know them personally or not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Ironic I just received an invitation to a no meat vegetarian Thanksgiving meal.....do not know what is going to be served exactly....just that is no fish, no meat, no butter vegetarian. Very nice of them to invite me. They do have a w/c ramp too. 

Just a question..Should I write to say I am on a medically ordered high protein low carb diet and am allergic to nuts? (I am allergic to nuts) Should I ask that they include "other options" including a meat?  I think I will thank them and go enjoy myself.....will ask while there what dish has nuts or not. I will not bring any meat dish as I know that will offend them. They will not cook any meat in their home due to their strong beliefs. I can always eat when I get home...just will enjoy the experience. I will respect them while in their home as they are work friends and not family. I am not insulted.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Even if it's the classic - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash casserole, green bean casserole or a similar variation, there are plenty of veggies (maybe not the green beans if they have bacon or the stuffing if it has oysters or sausage), but pleanty of "options" for vegetarians surely.

For the gluten free, it might be more problematic - is turkey a problem - without the gravy?

What about cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes?  According to a site on eating Thanksgiving gluten free, it said these dishes rarely contain gluten (marshmallows are gluten free - I didn't know that).

I guess I'm just not seeing the huge problem. 

@Isobel Archer  The turkey should be fine for GF, but not the gravy due to the flour used for thickening.  I suppose the cook could use instead.  Cranberry sauce and potatoes should be OK too.  Green bean casserole, probably not due to the creamed soup.

You're right, there isn't a huge problem with the meal.  The problem is with the attitudes of some of the invited guests.