Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom Don't the Bush's live in the Preston area?  I think it's near.  I'm not sure exactly where the tornado did hit. 

He does live in that general area.

They were at home but are ok.  They live in the Preston Hollow area.  It is among the areas hit, and hard.  These are my old stomping grounds.  A shopping center shredded.  Firehouse the same.  Huge houses leveled.  Power lines will be down for days,  My relatives were very lucky.  Schools just blown up.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@texassunflower wrote:

@songbird  I live in West Texas. I am surprised that your husband liked West Texas because this is not the pretty part of the state! It's flat, flat, flat, hot and dry! It's hard to keep your yard pretty and green in the summer. No humidity but miserably hot. Winters are great, little to no snow. People are very friendly and there's a church on every corner. I live in Lubbock. Our college football team are theTexas Tech Red Raiders. Our big rival is University of Texas, Texas Longhorns. I see very few Stetsons but lots of jeans and cowboy boots.

He liked it because it's the only part of Texas that is actually Western.....an in Wyoming, etc.(as in The True West)  the Libertarian in thought and the independent spirit. Texas is really a Southern state. It's part of Dixie. They were after all, part of the Confederacy. But West Texas is....different. More Western in thought then Southern. Anyway, he liked most of Texas and hill country is beautiful. But he liked the people in West Texas most of all. He made good friends there.

@songbird 

West Texas IS like being in a Cowboy movie.....

The Texas Hill Country is my favorite part of Texas.... I love the quaint towns and the people are very friendly....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Texas tornado

[ Edited ]

I am in North Dallas. We lost some bricks on our chimney, one tree, the mailbox, and a few roof shingles. The tornado hit about 3 miles from us. We had so much debris from other parts of the area it was hard to get out our front door. Garage door was damaged when garbage cans blew into it. We still have a collection of garbage cans and no one has claimed them yet, President and Laura Bush live in Preston Hollow close to the area that was hit so hard. They now say there was a total of 9 different tornados through the area Sunday night. I think some of them split off from the first three larger ones. 
A friend who lives in Richardson found a pair of GAP jeans in her front yard Monday morning along with a lot of debris, insulation, roofing, and a downed tree. The jeans still had the security tag and they were from the Gap store in Preston Royal shopping center...miles away....amazing the wind could have blown them that far north and east! A neighbor in the block behind them found jeans also...same security tag from same store since it was the only GAP store hit.  We are all so fortunate there were no serious injuries or fatalities . Farmersville, north of Dallas, was hit hard also but have seen no mention of it on the news. It looks like tornado damage from the photos a friend sent me who lives up there. My sister lives in Red Oak which is south of Dallas and they lost a small part of their roof. So thankful everyone’s life was spared!

Honored Contributor
The first tornado formed just south of Love Field, where Southwest Airlines flies to and from. DFW airport, is well west of the tornados, fortunately.
Super Contributor

@Bridgegal  I just saw your post. Our claim to fame this year was our basketball team made it to the Final 2. This town lost their minds!! So exciting. We can't seem to have a winning season at football. New coach this year. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@texassunflower 

Oh I know.  I follow Tech sports like an addict.   That basketball game was a real heartbreaker.  Why they didn't foul the Virginia guy with 11 seconds left, I'll never know.   

I am hopefull for the rising of the football program.   Hopefully, in 3 years or so they'll be competing at the top of the Big 12.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't leave this thread about Texas without this...the dwarf planet, Ceres is nothing compared to Texas.  Texas is big, Y,all