Honored Contributor

I understand Dallas got hit with a nasty tornado last night.  One fatality I think.  I only visited Dallas (all of Texas really) once during the summer, changing planes.  At the airport, I decided to try their famous heat.  I went outside and could not breath!!  It was so hot!  Other then the tornado and the heat, I would love to live there!  Texas is so huge and fascinating to me.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/21/dfw-weather-dallas-tornado-damage/

About the tornado.  I checked and they said the most tornado prone area is at North Texas (pan handle...red river area)) but I guess Texas gets it anytime of the year.  Including fall and winter. 

My husband was stationed in Texas when he was in the Air Force.  Second day of is arrival in San Antonio, he saw his first tornado.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Texas tornado

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I understand Dallas got hit with a nasty tornado last night.  One fatality I think.  I only visited Dallas (all of Texas really) once during the summer, changing planes.  At the airport, I decided to try their famous heat.  I went outside and could not breath!!  It was so hot!  Other then the tornado and the heat, I would love to live there!  Texas is so huge and fascinating to me.

About the tornado.  I checked and they said the most tornado prone area is at North Texas (pan handle...red river area)) but I guess Texas gets it anytime of the year.  Including fall and winter. 

@songbird 

It was devistating in parts of Dallas but thankfully no serious injuries or deaths reported.  I live just outside Dallas.  It was not near the panhandle or red river but in North Texas near Love Field (airport) We had heavey rain, lightning and winds near the DFW airport.   If you want to see pictures go tohttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Honored Contributor

I lived in Texas almost 35 years and never saw or had a tornado come near.  I do not care for the geography or climate and escaped to NM in 1999.  Life has been much better since then.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, it's bad.

I live in Plano & we had tornado alarms & TV alerts, but the bulk of

the activity was south & east of me.

The residential part in Dallas which was hit the hardest was

Preston Hollow. Strait Lane, Preston/Royal....and those

are HIGH $$$$$ homes of many well-known names.

Lake Highlands (east of 75/south of 635) was hit pretty hard,

as well.

The images and videos are beautifully stunning. 

It IS a miracle no one was killed/seriously injured.

Just a couple month ago, in June, we had severely damaging

wind/rain in that same area-ish....which many mature, older trees

met their fate...and many were still cleaning up from that 

natural event.

Honored Contributor

@songbird @sidsmom 

I didn't know you were HERE too!

We are in Arlington and had no worries other than a click off of the power at approximately 11 pm. We both got up and went into the family room to see if everything was ok and it was!

South of us Midlothian had some damage and their schools are closed today.

I heard the rain, which was moving sideways, hit our bedroom window (it got a power-wash!!

We have family members in Richardson and they are all ok too.

We don't worry too much about the 🌪🌪s...knock on wood!

Hope everyone is ok today!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

Have you seen any of the pics/videos?  
Crazy! 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

My husband was stationed in Texas when he was in the Air Force.  Second day of is arrival in San Antonio, he saw his first tornado.

@songbird 

North Texas (Dallas and panhandle) is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.....  This is known as tornado/hail alley...Oklahoma/North Texas get slammed in the spring - fall depending on the weather patterns....

The Texas Hill Country is always 5-6 degrees cooler....

In South Texas (Austin/San Antonio) we RARELY get tornadoes....there might be a tornado warning because conditions are right if we get a really bad storm, but they are rare....Since 1950 there have been a total of 39.  Summers are like a sauna with the heat and humidity....but it you can deal with it for 4-5 months the rest of the time the weather is pretty nice....MOST OF THE TIME....We have had an unusually hot end of September/October this year....

East Texas, Houston, is more hot and humid....West Texas is very hot and dry.....

The coast is hot and humid but gets a breeze off the gulf..."winters" are extremely mild there...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's because Texas is SO immense. So huge in size.  You can drive for hours and never get out of the state.  It's like if you want to go the nearest Burger King, you might have to drive over 50 miles!

I never got over being there that one time. I actually saw a few men in Stetson  hats, but my husband said that every man in Texas wears one is a myth. I must say, they looked good in them! My husband like his stay there and might have settled there, but he didn't in the end.  He really liked West Texas.  But yes, the weather there is unverving and very unpredictable.  I've also read some funny things about the rivalry between Oklahoma and Texas!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

i have only seen a few of the videos posted on twitter and better than that, nbcdfw.com

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Tornadoes-LIt-by-Lightning-in-NBC-5-Viewer-Videos-563524671.h...

the ones I saw had been taken last night...some people have (apparently) learned how to set their phones for video taping in the dark! I have not learned this yet, but would like to.

So the videos I saw were mostly in the dark and taken by viewers.

What did you see?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I think it's because Texas is SO immense. So huge in size.  You can drive for hours and never get out of the state.  It's like if you want to go the nearest Burger King, you might have to drive over 50 miles!

I never got over being there that one time. I actually saw a few men in Stetson  hats, but my husband said that every man in Texas wears one is a myth. I must say, they looked good in them! My husband like his stay there and might have settled there, but he didn't in the end.  He really liked West Texas.  But yes, the weather there is unverving and very unpredictable.  I've also read some funny things about the rivalry between Oklahoma and Texas!

@songbird Uh, that's Oklahoma and Baja Oklahoma. Woman Wink