Respected Contributor

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worry about the innocent people affected by the power grid in TX. But really, people elected politicians who don't care and think an isolated grid is ok. Sometimes you get the cr*p you vote for.  

@CalminHeart 

Its sad they interviewed some Seniors on limited budgets that were just using fans because they couldnt afford to use their A/C...CPS Energy has a program called REAP where customers can donate and add a few bucks to their bill to help people pay their electric bills that are struggling.....but how many people really donate to that fund????  Sounds like not enough...

The difference is Texas took the first step to lead the country in renewable energy even surpassing California and look at what happened....

Texas installed 7,352 megawatts of new wind, solar and energy installation projects in 2021, significantly outpacing California, which installed 2,697 megawatts . Oklahoma, Florida and New Mexico were the other top producing states.  @Kachina624 take note New Mexico is joining the party.....

It's still only about 20% of your electricity sources. Clearly the source of the brownouts and blackouts is not Green electricity. It's your fossil fuels and power grid. Green energy is taking the blame because, propaganda. Clearly, whatever "investment" was made was not enough for the number of households and business that depend on the independent Texas grid. Since I've just learned it's independent from the rest of the nation's grid, that might be a good place to start. 

But I understand the legislature has more pressing priorities. 

What if 20% of your income was taken? Or 20% of the gas in your car?

20% makes a difference.

eta: posted previously (I'm seeing 25% is green, not 20)

According to ERCOT website, Texas energy comes from the following:

46% natural gas

23% wind

18%coal

11% nuclear

2% solar

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worry about the innocent people affected by the power grid in TX. But really, people elected politicians who don't care and think an isolated grid is ok. Sometimes you get the cr*p you vote for.  

@CalminHeart 

Its sad they interviewed some Seniors on limited budgets that were just using fans because they couldnt afford to use their A/C...CPS Energy has a program called REAP where customers can donate and add a few bucks to their bill to help people pay their electric bills that are struggling.....but how many people really donate to that fund????  Sounds like not enough...

The difference is Texas took the first step to lead the country in renewable energy even surpassing California and look at what happened....

Texas installed 7,352 megawatts of new wind, solar and energy installation projects in 2021, significantly outpacing California, which installed 2,697 megawatts . Oklahoma, Florida and New Mexico were the other top producing states.  @Kachina624 take note New Mexico is joining the party.....

It's still only about 20% of your electricity sources. Clearly the source of the brownouts and blackouts is not Green electricity. It's your fossil fuels and power grid. Green energy is taking the blame because, propaganda. Clearly, whatever "investment" was made was not enough for the number of households and business that depend on the independent Texas grid. Since I've just learned it's independent from the rest of the nation's grid, that might be a good place to start. 

But I understand the legislature has more pressing priorities. 

What if 20% of your income was taken? Or 20% of the gas in your car?

20% makes a difference.

eta: posted previously (I'm seeing 25% is green, not 20)

According to ERCOT website, Texas energy comes from the following:

46% natural gas

23% wind

18%coal

11% nuclear

2% solar

Oh, pardon the 5%.  In other words, Texas is virtually dependent on fossil fuels. 75% of your energy comes from that. But when you have a grid failure, it's the 25% that gets the blame. It doesn't matter to me, because you are on an independent grid from the rest of the nation. I'm not being asked to conserve to help share the burden in Texas.

Super Contributor

One of the big problems in Central Texas is the thousands of Californians moving here. There are scores of subdivisions popping up all over, and there is just not enough power to supply all of the new subdivisions. Add to that we are in a drought, and will probably have to watch our water consumption. Too many people!! Stay where you are!!

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

Didn't the windmills freeze up somewhere in Texas during the winter? And some want to depend on wind and the sun for sufficient power?  🤔 Uh Huh!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@granddi 

Didn't the windmills freeze up somewhere in Texas during the winter? And some want to depend on wind and the sun for sufficient power?  🤔 Uh Huh!

hckynut  🇺🇸

Yep and all this is still being pushed as though it's Utopia. Can't let minor things like evidence and facts to the contrary get in the way though.

Esteemed Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/18/968921895/what-really-caused-the-texas-power-shortage

Thank you!

Here's a snippet.....

BILL MAGNESS: Really, it was across the board. We saw coal plants, gas plants, wind, solar, just all sorts of our resources trip off and not be able to perform.

DOMONOSKE: Bill Magness is the president and CEO of ERCOT - or the Electric Reliability Council of Texas - which manages the state electric grid. These frigid temperatures had people across Texas plugging in electric heaters all at once.

MAGNESS: Fundamentally, it is a historic storm that drove electric demand higher than we've ever seen by far.

DOMONOSKE: And at the exact same time, the supply of electricity went down. Wind turbines did freeze, so did natural gas wells and pipelines and water pipes at coal and nuclear plants. All of this frozen equipment meant power plants couldn't function. There simply wasn't enough electricity to go around.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not an energy expert by any means, but there are wind turbines in Canada, Sweden,  I've read even the Artic.  It seems that they have equipent on them to prevent problems in the freezing weather.

Being put in Texas which is not typically that cold no additional equipent was put on them.

It wasn't the wind turbines failed no one had the foresight to anticipate an ice storm and do what was needed to "winterize them."

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   New Mexico has always had many wind turbines and even a huge plot of mirrors that generate electricity.  Every nigh a weatherman reports what percentage of electricity was generated by renewal energy.  I worry that they've contracted with a firm that has less than a stellar record.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

One of the big problems in Central Texas is the thousands of Californians moving here. There are scores of subdivisions popping up all over, and there is just not enough power to supply all of the new subdivisions. Add to that we are in a drought, and will probably have to watch our water consumption. Too many people!! Stay where you are!!

@nanny24    I've got news for you, they're taking over the South and Northwest.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment