Esteemed Contributor

99% of teachers are outstanding?  That's the most absurd thing I've read in a century.  

And public school teachers are 100% accountable to those who employ and pay them, the state and district taxpayers, via administration or school board.  That's why we have public school board elections.  

Honored Contributor

Our education system is in shambles. Kids are so far behind, they will never catch up. The good teachers are denigrated and treated poorly by some parents as well as their peers who don't want to do their jobs. I believe there is a ton of money out there that is being abused instead for being put into education.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Teacher Absences

[ Edited ]

Private schools vary from local church private schools to those that are extrermemly  academically challenging as their graduates target only Ivy League schools. You can not lump them all into one group.

Same with public schools. Even in a county/district where the public schools are considered excellent, parents and students know that there are some schools that are amazing and some are just eh. This is why redistricting is such a hot button for families; they choose to move into an area with the scores are top and don't want to leave that school.

To think that all public schools in the US are run identically is, well, foolish. They take on the character of the community, the staff and the students. Our public high school has some serious issues and yet, our 2 flourish. When a teacher has been absent from class, we've received an email (as do the students via Canvas) regarding when, why and what will happen in the class while the teacher is gone. Excellent communication with no issues. One thing we noticed is that there are VERY few "teacher days" (the days schools are closed so teachers can attend day long training).  The calendar for this year shows 2 for the entire year. Back in MD, in our county, they usually had 2-3 per MONTH. Our sons are in school FAR MORE here than they were in MD. That said, on Monday, school is out an hour and half earlier than the other days. This is so teachers can attend meetings, classes, etc. Perhaps if you add the hours together, they equal the same amount of time that MD teachers had off; don't know.  In the end, what matters to us is how well our sons are doing in their classes/their overall high-school experience. So far, no complaints at all.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

99% of teachers are outstanding?  That's the most absurd thing I've read in a century.  

And public school teachers are 100% accountable to those who employ and pay them, the state and district taxpayers, via administration or school board.  That's why we have public school board elections.  

@Johnnyeager 

In NY, there are HIPPA laws.

You can NOT divulge personal/medical information to anyone!!

It is NO parent's business or board member's business why a teacher is not in the classroom.  Only HR keeps that info confidential to the Super or Asst Super ONLY.

By law, you do not tell board members what the 'reason' is for ANY employees' absence.

Teachers, cafet workers, aids NO ONE.

Also, in NY, we have Tenure.  Now after 4 years, a teacher is evaluated and if qualified, granted tenure.

That means by contract, you can NOT dismiss them unless severe just cause.

Taking contractual time off is NOT a dismissable offense.

We'd like to think teachers are 100% accountable, but the reality is there is a VERY strong NY Teachers Union that will fight you tooth and nail on it.

These are the roadblocks and issues parents deal with when in the Public School System.

Respected Contributor

Re: Teacher Absences

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

I think its commendable that your daughter lets you know what is going on.

As a teacher if a foreign language it was very difficult to have a sub.  When I knew I would be out for teacher training / curriculum I tried to get a sub ahead of time that I knew would carry out my plans.  Those plans took quite a bit of time to prepare since I had at least three different class levels, sometimes two different buildings and sub dud not know language. But she could keep students on task that I had directed.   I hated to be out as sub plans took so much time and detail.   As a result I had many sick days accumulated but when my position was eliminated a year before qualifying for retirement it was lost.  I don't regret being responsible to my students first.

As a sub in the district it was frustrating to go into classrooms where little prep was done.  Even class rosters were not accurate.  When a teacher has scheduled training, he can take time to do a good class lesson, especially now with most students having laptops,  etc.  It is up to sub to walk around and keep all on task.  Many don't but I was always keeping eyes on kids.  (oh they hate that!).  I am not going back as sub because if I get sick I get no benefits and expose my family more. Furthermore, if teachers don't leave correct info I could find myself in hot water not knowing "he" she" they " etc .  I want to teach but don't want to be chastised by some teenager for not getting it right.

A last minute sub is one of those things that haopens.  But teachers are usually required to have emergency plans.  I am unsure what to recommend insofar as concern.  Principal I guess but tactfully

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager 

In NY, there are HIPPA laws.

You can NOT divulge personal/medical information to anyone!!

It is NO parent's business or board member's business why a teacher is not in the classroom.  Only HR keeps that info confidential to the Super or Asst Super ONLY.

By law, you do not tell board members what the 'reason' is for ANY employees' absence.

Teachers, cafet workers, aids NO ONE.

Also, in NY, we have Tenure.  Now after 4 years, a teacher is evaluated and if qualified, granted tenure.

That means by contract, you can NOT dismiss them unless severe just cause.

Taking contractual time off is NOT a dismissable offense.

We'd like to think teachers are 100% accountable, but the reality is there is a VERY strong NY Teachers Union that will fight you tooth and nail on it.

These are the roadblocks and issues parents deal with when in the Public School System.

HIPAA doesn't apply to this.  That's not what it does.

Nonetheless, it's not really a parent's business the reason for the absence.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

It is not my intention to start a heated debate over this.  I'm just curious. My daughter is a junior in high school.  An important year (they're all important but this one in particular).  Since the beginning of the school year (August 8th), I've noticed a lot of her teachers being absent.  My daughter said that 3 of her teachers were not there this past Monday.  One of those teachers, her History teacher wasn't there the Friday before either and then the class was told on Monday there will be a quiz on Tuesday.  However, the substitute for this class only instructed them to "read whatever they want" on the 2 days the teacher wasn't there. My aughter felt there was little instruction given before quiz. This same teacher just told the class she won't be in class this Friday (August 8th) or the next week (though they do have have the 10th - 12th, so just two days).  There hasn't been one week from school that at least 1 teacher has not been present or more.  I believe teachers work very hard and deserve time off, but is this usual?  

Big deal. They need time off just like everyone else. Reading is a good thing and kids don't do enough of it. Tell your daughter to ake advantage of it.

They need time just like everyone else? Summers off, every holiday off, Christmas break, winter break, spring break, and every weekend off. Really @CalminHeart 

Esteemed Contributor

A parent and/or taxpayer can ask anything they like at a Board meeting.

Of course, no one is required to respond,  but we have the ability to ask.

Don't be afraid Taxpayers and Parents!  It's your school.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would discuss this issue with the school administration.  The parents have a right to know what is going on.

Do you have to share with everyone that might want to know, even if not on your work team, when you take a day off?   

Get off teachers' backs. 99% are outstanding at what they do and don't need more grief that parents and legislators are already giving them.

There are some that are outstanding @CalminHeart  I have worked within school systems, and 99% is way off. . 

Honored Contributor

@manny2, most of them have no idea how good they've got it. The few really good ones do understand. How do we teach our kids a good work ethic when they see these adults who have little to no work ethic?