Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I thought the same thing RainyDayGirl. It sounded to me like what she was saying is that people are already being punished for their lifestyles with poor health. The question, or statement as it was, is that if the government is paying a high price for the cost of treatment then they should have a say in making the cause a little less desirable.

Not saying whether that's right or wrong as far as the government goes--just saying that's what I got from comment.

Sugar is not the one and only cause, why target that one and only substance?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I thought the same thing RainyDayGirl. It sounded to me like what she was saying is that people are already being punished for their lifestyles with poor health. The question, or statement as it was, is that if the government is paying a high price for the cost of treatment then they should have a say in making the cause a little less desirable.

Not saying whether that's right or wrong as far as the government goes--just saying that's what I got from comment.

Sugar is not the one and only cause, why target that one and only substance?

Why are you asking me? I was just helping to clarify the words of TenderMercies, lol. Just off the top of my head though, I guess I'd say that if they are going to target one substance, healthwise, that's probably one of the worst. Not to mention it's hardly the one and only substance targeted. Take a look at the taxes already in place for alcohol, tobacco, and pot. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now soda too? I think they should heavily tax alcohol like they do cigarettes. They always target smokers but never drunks. (And I quit smoking yrs back but its only fair, the drinkers pay too, booze causes deaths)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love America.  I don't mind taxes.  Its how we get education, bike trails, art, the beautiful parks. Our roads and highways.  As crummy as they seem sometimes to some, it sure as heck beats the alternative.   If they tax soda and junk food a couple pennies, so what.?  It pays for the diabetic care, and problems that go with obesity for some .  Tax the heck out of cigarettes.  I quit smoking when smokes were 1.25 a pack, glad I did.  I am so glad I live in a state that has strict smoking laws. I dont have to breathe the bad air, wash smoke out of my clothes and hair   Do people still smoke, yes!!  It is their right, and their choice. I don't think most people quit smoking, drinking, eating bad foods or overeating because of tax or cost. When, and if they quit, they usually so so for their health.  But, if I have to have to pay for higher medical premiums because of smokers, and people who choose poor diets, then I am glad they also chip on by helping pay for everything ...by chipping in when they buy smokes, sodas, and such.  I think if you go into a restaurant and drink soda, they do not  extra tax you.  Lol! But you will pay tax on food, and tip. Lol. 

Remember, the government subsidizes the cost for many who suffer from asthma, lung disease, obesity, diabetes, and the diabilities for many who have chosen their lifestyles.  That is life.  But dog gone it, let those who choose these lifestyles pay for it too.  Thats fair. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Adults can make their own choices for themselves and their dependents what they choose to consume. Personally, as long as what they drink doesn't effect me or my safety on the roads? Drink away! I prefer water/milk or natural fruit juices for my hydration.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  My thoughts exactly!  

But then I think people climbing mountains in national parks should have to post bond for their rescue to be able to climb.  

Isn't it amazing what harmful activities are taxed and others not?  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

No problem with it. Sugar is proving just as deadly to us as cigarettes. Increase the price to the point that people will have to make different choices in their "snacks". I've yet to hear a doctor or any health provider say "MORE SUGAR. YOU NEED MORE SUGAR IN YOUR DIET."

More fruit, more vegis, more protein....yes. Not more processed junk snack cwap food.

It is not anyone's business what particular harmful to you only activities you might participate in.  I know smokers who are 95 and on no drugs and in good health and health nut vegetarians who have died at 52.  So we should also tax high heels, skateboards, bacon, red meat, chicken dark meat, birthday cake, all cupcakes, macaroni and cheese, cheese in general and sushi. 

Isn't this country about deciding how to live your life and what to drink with a burger and fries?  At least it used to be 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wonder what people would say is there was a tax imposed on each post made on the Internet.  After all spending to much time sitting in front of the computer is bad for your health.

funny

That is coming.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The tax on soda is paying for this  perhaps.  Its Ok to be an addict ,but the evil pop drinkers must be fined ,and made to pay , and they are could be using pop revenue to fund some of this.

Washington state also taxes the evil tobacco users and the evil alcohol users.  

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I love America.  I don't mind taxes.  Its how we get education, bike trails, art, the beautiful parks. Our roads and highways.  As crummy as they seem sometimes to some, it sure as heck beats the alternative.   If they tax soda and junk food a couple pennies, so what.?  It pays for the diabetic care, and problems that go with obesity for some .  Tax the heck out of cigarettes.  I quit smoking when smokes were 1.25 a pack, glad I did.  I am so glad I live in a state that has strict smoking laws. I dont have to breathe the bad air, wash smoke out of my clothes and hair   Do people still smoke, yes!!  It is their right, and their choice. I don't think most people quit smoking, drinking, eating bad foods or overeating because of tax or cost. When, and if they quit, they usually so so for their health.  But, if I have to have to pay for higher medical premiums because of smokers, and people who choose poor diets, then I am glad they also chip on by helping pay for everything ...by chipping in when they buy smokes, sodas, and such.  I think if you go into a restaurant and drink soda, they do not  extra tax you.  Lol! But you will pay tax on food, and tip. Lol. 

Remember, the government subsidizes the cost for many who suffer from asthma, lung disease, obesity, diabetes, and the diabilities for many who have chosen their lifestyles.  That is life.  But dog gone it, let those who choose these lifestyles pay for it too.  Thats fair. 

Gotta find a way to make all those who are “defective” in some way pay for the normal people who out of the goodness of their hearts, allow them to live and don’t vote to have them put down. Bordering on eugenics.  A lovely POV.

BTW - it’s a crock that all overweight people are or will become diabetic. It’s a very ignorant belief. Genes have more to do with it than anything else. Also not true that every lung cancer victim was a smoker - more and more non-smokers are diagnosed with lung cancer all the time.  BAD people, CHOOSING to live where air pollution exists, or carcinogens, purposefully giving themselves asthma or COPD or cancer.  The nerve!

But I know that science is difficult for some.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@shoekitty

Wait.  I must have missed something.  Asthma is a lifestyle?  

Asthma is largely a result of air pollution,  there are pockets of it in CA, especially with children in the farming communities around Fresno.  How is this a lifestyle?

AND.  Asthma is one of the lovely gifts from Lupus.  I was lucky enough to get it and when the heavy smoke came from the CA fires, asthma from that granted me another stint in the hospital.

HOW IS THAT LIFESTYLE?