Valued Contributor

Re: Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

@hennypenny wrote:

Are short nails mandatory for waitpersons?

I think perhaps the OP was also affected by the polish on the nails.

We had a similar experience while attending the soft opening of a neighborhood Olive Garden. Our waiter had more make up on than I did, and I am no slouch when it comes to eyeliner, shadow, mascara, foundation, blush etc. He was really pretty, and I am being complimentary, not sarcastic. I thought at the time that he probably would make more tips working in downtown Houston rather than in our little suburb, where people are so very prim and proper and conservative. That being said, I would never have thought to have made that suggestion to him!

Respected Contributor

Got my laugh for the day just reading the comments on this topic!  Thanks everyone for the smiles!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made the suggestion about losing the nails because he was very young and indicated interest in improving his market ability.  I also tipped him (not common for where he was working).

Honored Contributor

How would he save his nails for off-time?   Wouldn't they still be pretty when he went to work? 

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I made the suggestion about losing the nails because he was very young and indicated interest in improving his market ability.  I also tipped him (not common for where he was working).

Just be careful especially it someone is handling your food.🌸

Honored Contributor

When a man polishes his nails then he most likely wants them to be noticed or why bother.I don’t think the comments were meant to be offensive but instead helpful...OP could have left that part of the conversation in her head but I am sure his feelings weren’t hurt that easily.

Honored Contributor

It is heartening to know that employers in your area of Northern Arizona encourage a diverse workforce.  

Trusted Contributor

I love when people assume that other people aren't going to like something on some big scale. The guy got a job the way he is. And the other guy waiting tables in a restaurant got the job the way he is. I'm guessing if it was a big deal they wouldn't be there.

A million years ago i used to work with a guy that was all punked out. He was loved by all the customers, especially the little old ladies. So yes while a FEW people might take issue I think it's a stretch that it would be a big deal. Especially in these types of jobs. Of course if the kid wants to go work in some super swanky 5 star restaurant where they might have dress or appearance codes I'm sure he'd adjust.

Trusted Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Just be careful especially it someone is handling your food.🌸

Long nails are an issue in healthcare settings, and I don't see why they shouldn't be in a restaurant setting, too.  Long nails hold dirt and bacteria, handling money and cards, using the restroom, etc.

Its not a good look for a restaurant and restaurants should have a dress code in place concerning it.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sometimes young people do things to get a rise out of people. Yes I know gasp how dare anyone think that but I remember being young and lots of friends wore their hair a certain way or dressed a certain way purely to irritate the adults in their lives. 

I know someone who has her gay male friends over anytime she invites family over just to enlighten or bother them. The gay friends are in on it and play it up. So who are the bad people in this scenario?

My husband plays a song on the guitar” Before you accuse me take a look at yourself”