Esteemed Contributor

Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

[ Edited ]

I drove to a local fast food place and went through the Drive Thru.  The employee at the window was a young man (it is his first job) with a tongue piercing and beautifully manicured nails (with long pearl pink polish).  Upon talking to him, he mentioned he might try to find a job as a waiter.  I debated about whether to say something and did:  first of all, I complimented him on his nails and went on to say that he'd probably have better luck as a waiter if he saved the nails for his off time.  He was very pleased with the compliment and went on to say that today another female customer complained to management about his nails.  My opinion is that,while his look was surprising, he was clean, friendly and filled my order promptly and correctly.  I feel for anyone who is "different" in our Northern Arizona (very very conservative community).

Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

How does that much information get shared in a fast-moving 

drive thru?  

‘...better luck as a waiter if he saved the nails for his time off.’

Ouch.🤦‍♀️

Are you sure he didn’t spit in your order after that was delivered?

Honored Contributor

Wow!!!!!! I would never ever have said that! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That could have gone very badly. I was in a store once and the guy that waited on me had contacts that looked like the eyes of a cat and I blurted out can you even see me? Those eyes are for the club. Luckily he took it well but I made a note to myself to be careful in the future. image.pnghttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1789/5477/products/yellowcat_grande.png?v=1540950607

Honored Contributor

If people who are "different" don't ask for opinions concerning their hair, makeup, clothes, jewelry or any other personal question, then don't offer any!

When did we become so condescending towards others?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I have always had a thing about men with long nails. I saw a young man at my bank with them and I was nice and polite but undeneath I wanted to run. It’s just a thing with me. I have always been this way even as a child.

I guess if the young man asked for the advice it was ok to give it. However I would hope suggesting he should have or might have spit in your food is not the correct way to handle any situation. People need to learn to be civil even when someone may say or do something that offends them. 

Honored Contributor

I don't offer unsolicited advice, I would never want to hurt someone's feelings.

Respected Contributor

Are short nails mandatory for waitpersons?

Honored Contributor

I hope he can move to an all inclusive area of the country. They do exist and hopefully people won’t have the audacity to comment on his appearance...

Esteemed Contributor

The entertainment shows last week caught  Matthew Perry from Friends

sporting long messy nails. They said he was on his way to get a manicure.

Just some of dumb stuff they show but I do enjoy Inside Edition.