Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

@Lali1 wrote:

Sometimes young people do things to get a rise out of people. Yes I know gasp how dare anyone think that but I remember being young and lots of friends wore their hair a certain way or dressed a certain way purely to irritate the adults in their lives. 

I know someone who has her gay male friends over anytime she invites family over just to enlighten or bother them. The gay friends are in on it and play it up. So who are the bad people in this scenario?

My husband plays a song on the guitar” Before you accuse me take a look at yourself” 

"Young people?

Gene Simmons

Cyndi Lauper

Dog the Bounty Hunter

Alice Cooper

Ozzy Osbourne

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say anything, but I wouldn't return either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

I wouldn't say anything, but I wouldn't return either.  

Returning or not returning really isn’t part of this thread’s conversation.

Respected Contributor

Standing out is the name of the game with celebs. 

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

Thiat could have gone very badly. I was in a store once and the guy that waited on me had contacts the looked like the eyes of a cat and I blurted out can you even see me? Those eyes are for the club. Luckily he took it well but I made a note to myself to be careful in the future. image.pnghttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1789/5477/products/yellowcat_grande.png?v=1540950607

Creepy!  I'm surprised that this is allowed in a store...unless it's an "alternative" shop that draws a different crowd.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

If people who are "different" don't ask for opinions concerning their hair, makeup, clothes, jewelry or any other personal question, then don't offer any!

When did we become so condescending towards others?

I feel the same way.  I would never offer advice like that to a stranger.  Or even to people I knew unless I knew them well and was sure they would be open to it.

It sounds as though he was polite, but we have no idea what he was thinking.  Compliments are fine, but "advice" (even if it's well-intentioned) can be taken the wrong way and is not always welcome.  I'm sure the OP was trying to be helpful, but pointing out differences and not treating all people simply as people is wrong, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

If I had mentioned everyday people who are older versions of "young people", then we wouldn't know who they were, would we? To each their own, young, old, short, tall, skinny or large. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but I work with "celebs" every day, and you're incorrect.

I also don't understand what that has to do with this thread.

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Sometimes young people do things to get a rise out of people. Yes I know gasp how dare anyone think that but I remember being young and lots of friends wore their hair a certain way or dressed a certain way purely to irritate the adults in their lives. 

I know someone who has her gay male friends over anytime she invites family over just to enlighten or bother them. The gay friends are in on it and play it up. So who are the bad people in this scenario?

My husband plays a song on the guitar” Before you accuse me take a look at yourself” 

I think your friend has a problem using other human beings to "enlighten or bother" others and I'm sorry her gay male friends let themselves be used. 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I think your friend has a problem using other human beings to "enlighten or bother" others and I'm sorry her gay male friends let themselves be used. 

ITA.

But if her parents are that close-minded in the first place,

sounds like the acorn didn’t fall far from the tree, y’know?

Both parents & child needs work.

Sounds like a dysfunctional family.