Trusted Contributor

Went to Costco yesterday with a long list. They had no paper plates, no hand soap, no disposable coffee cups, no namebrand paper towels, no namebrand baby wipes.  However, they had tons of Clorox wipes and toilet paper uo to the ceiling. Kroger had no pillsbury products, facial tissues and several produce shelves were empty. Also no orange juice. The produce manager who has worked there for years said they were having the same problems they had last year with supply chain problems.  Amazing to see random things disappear along with paper products. At least I found my beloved Clorox wipes. No limit, but I only took one. Last week, a small drugstore here had little bottles of hand sanitizer in a display at the front of the store with a sun that said " free, please take one". Yesterday,  the sign said $1 each.

Are you having trouble finding anything again? 

Trusted Contributor

Once again it seems to be very random on what you can and cannot find at the store. I think the main problem is no one can find workers. Every occupation you can think of is scrambling for workers. Look at what's going on with Spirit Airlines. So yes, supply chain issues. If you don't have anyone to work in the factories or drive the trucks, you have a supply chain issue. I don't understand why there are so many jobs available, yet so many people still on unemployment. Well, I guess I do understand.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover 

When manufacturing/farming and importing are shut down for what, 16 months?  Things for some reason are in short supply.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I've read that the floods in Europe and Asia are affecting the supply chain.  The article suggests that prices will be going up and inventory down over the next few months.  It also stated that Black Friday shopping this year may be affected as well.  As I recall, the source was NBC News.

Honored Contributor

I picked up a Walmart grocery order Sunday and there was a lot out of stock I couldn't order.  I did order a lot of frozen food and they didn't have a single item I ordered. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

I've read that the floods in Europe and Asia are affecting the supply chain.  The article suggests that prices will be going up and inventory down over the next few months.  It also stated that Black Friday shopping this year may be affected as well.  As I recall, the source was NBC News.

Calif is a big source for produce and on the news yesterday they were talking about the water shortage.  This means the crops that survive will be at a higher price.  I am already seeing higher prices at walmart.

Frequent Contributor
Spoiler
I think we need some advance plans.  Maybe planing teams A, B, C, and D to cover a variety of alternative futures.  We need to plan for our immediate future before we get there. Automation may be the key to supply chain issues.  But we have to begin thinking and planning for it now. Maybe humans won't be doing many of the things we do now.
Honored Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

Once again it seems to be very random on what you can and cannot find at the store. I think the main problem is no one can find workers. Every occupation you can think of is scrambling for workers. Look at what's going on with Spirit Airlines. So yes, supply chain issues. If you don't have anyone to work in the factories or drive the trucks, you have a supply chain issue. I don't understand why there are so many jobs available, yet so many people still on unemployment. Well, I guess I do understand.

There are more reasons for shortages.  Spirit airlines is saying most of the cancellations are weather related.  If they were so short handed why would the flights be on the schedule in the first place.  Sounds like bad planning.  I know people who have flown southwest and had no issues.  Not really sure what is going on.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

Calif is a big source for produce and on the news yesterday they were talking about the water shortage.  This means the crops that survive will be at a higher price.  I am already seeing higher prices at walmart.

@sunshine 919 I live in CA and yes, the drought is definitely affecting farmers here.

Respected Contributor

For all of you that hate grocery shopping or "just don't have the time" it's actually rather beneficial to find the time.

On line you will see a lot of stock outs but that doesn't mean that everything in that store with a different brand is out.  Not every single item that's in a grocery store is online thus you can make choices if you do your own shopping.