Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Nonametoday : I don't think pirates are a problem along the Suez route; the problem is near the tip of Africa, where many of the ships detoured.  Hopefully the US Navy or another entity will be very visible on that route.  The next problem is that many of the backed up ships will arrive in port concurrently and there will be delays getting them unloaded. Any way you cut it, the consumer loses, to the tune of billions of dollars.  I also read that the ship in question was built in 2018 and most of its guidance is done electronically ( much like a self guided car); looks like those systems need to be seriously tweaked!

I wonder if it was hacked!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

I have a relative who was a captain on super tankers. He is saying the ship was being piloted by specially trained men that are provided by the canal and are required to traverse the canal. There are many factors that contributed to the grounding but one of the main ones is canal wasn't built to handle supersized ships used today especially if it is windy like it was when the ship got stuck. It should never have been allowed to be in the canal on the day it got stuck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Queen of shop 

Business Insider is reporting that is free and moving!

The Ever Given has been freed and is moving again after 6 days blocking the Suez Canal

insider@insider.com (Connor Perrett,Mia Jankowicz) 11 hrs ago

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Queen of shop :  Where is this being reported?  NYT and CNN still reporting that although the rudder is free the ship is stuck and don't think there's a possibility of movement until at least 9am E.T. tomorrow.  Additionally, there may be damage to bottom of canal where its been stuck so no idea when it'll be passable.  Syria is rationing gasoline until this is resolved.  That said, I hope you are right.

@patbzNBC News is reporting that it is free.  That's how ships have resumed moving.  Below is the headline.

Suez Canal reopens after Ever Given cargo ship successfully refloated
Traffic resumed through the crucial waterway Monday after days of intense salvage efforts to free the Ever Given.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting update on Suez accident in today's Washington Post:

“ports around the world have spent enormous amounts of money to accommodate” these massive ships — digging deeper channels and buying larger cranes, for example — and in the past the shipping market seemed ready to accommodate the risk because of the cheaper costs offered by those vessels.

That could begin to change, Giuliano said. “Nobody likes risk because risk is money. What this is telling us is that we kind of underestimated the risk of going through the Suez Canal."

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Queen of shop 

Business Insider is reporting that is free and moving!

The Ever Given has been freed and is moving again after 6 days blocking the Suez Canal

insider@insider.com (Connor Perrett,Mia Jankowicz) 11 hrs ago

Good news.  Too late to save toilet paper though; the price of toilet paper is going up now...just reported today on morning news.