Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I wonder if a different person at the helm would have made a difference.  Had a conversation yesterday with a friend with years of sailing experience and asked about pilot error.  his answer was that it’s always possible, but the ships that go through the canal are under the control of Canal captains who move hundreds of ships a week through the Canal not likely to be someone with little Canal experience.

He focused more on the effects of the wind on the stack of containers rising high in the air.

Whatever the cause, we’re in another global mess.

Honored Contributor

It has been set free and the high tides today are expected to aid in the cargo ship being able to continue on its journey.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361  They stated this on the business news too.  Even if they fully free it soon, everything is bogged down and some ships have been diverted and have to go around Africa which causes extreme delays in the supply chain.

Respected Contributor

This was on CNN a half hour ago:

32 min ago The ship has been fully dislodged and is currently floating, Suez Canal Authority says

From CNN's Magdy Samaan, Mick Krever, Ben Wedeman and Mostafa Salem

The ship blocking the Suez Canal has been fully dislodged on Monday afternoon, a Suez Canal Authority spokesperson told CNN. 

Tugs were working to free the bow of the ship after dislodging the stern Monday morning. 

Marine traffic websites showed images of the ship away from the banks of the Suez Canal for the first time in seven days.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

When they turn it to straighten it, I hope they get someone else to drive. 

@Kachina624 

You think there are not pirates awaiting to loot it.

@Nonametoday    Not with the whole world and a satellite watching.  That would be most unwise.  How does one loot a container ship? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

166008136_10157691684787274_3502162164920728769_o.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

You think there are not pirates awaiting to loot it.

@Nonametoday    Not with the whole world and a satellite watching.  That would be most unwise.  How does one loot a container ship? 

@Kachina624   I hope not.  My only fear would be that, since Russia, China, Iran and North Korea have teamed up they could present some issues here for America.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Maybe someone in charge has been enjoy the good stuff, whether liquid or sniffing, pipe or whatever.

Respected Contributor

This is good news.  Glad there are some smarties here on Earth that could figure this mishap out with no one getting harmed or further catastrophe.

Wonder what the investigation will uncover?  These huge container ships appear all the time in my neck of the woods as I live near a coastal seaport in the SE.  People really enjoy sitting on a bench and watching them maneuver up and down the river to get to Port.  The sitings are posted in the newspaper, time/ship size/container freight etc....if people want to see a particular ship.  Fun Stuff.  Usually.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday : I don't think pirates are a problem along the Suez route; the problem is near the tip of Africa, where many of the ships detoured.  Hopefully the US Navy or another entity will be very visible on that route.  The next problem is that many of the backed up ships will arrive in port concurrently and there will be delays getting them unloaded. Any way you cut it, the consumer loses, to the tune of billions of dollars.  I also read that the ship in question was built in 2018 and most of its guidance is done electronically ( much like a self guided car); looks like those systems need to be seriously tweaked!