Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

People never learn. It's been all over the news, papers, groups, etc.

Yes, people do learn. 

If she hadn't 'learned' she wouldn't have even had enough sense to ask what to do once she realized she made the mistake.

Some of us have been answering the phone for over fifty years, and there is such a thing as reflex. It is simply ingrained after all these years, to do exactly what this poster did. 

There is no reason to belittle or be so hateful about it. It could happen to any one of us, even when knowing the scam is out there. 

OP posting is just another reminder to be careful. How sad a world is it now when we can't even answer the phone without being in full battle mode? We have enough to be on guard about all day every day now, and people will forget or default to the familiar.

The problem isn't the poster.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I never ever answer a call unless I recognize the name or caller's number and I cannot understand why some people answer calls from a unknown name or number. 90% of the time they leave no message.  AT the end of every day I scroll through the missed calls list and block all those numbers that appear.

I can tell you one reason people answer calls and that is when they have kids.

Some numbers are really bogus looking and you know better. But now there are out of area solicitors etc. that are some how making the number come up with local area codes.

I have a son, and yes I know his number. But what if he is using someone else's phone? What if he is in an emergency and someone from some number I don't know is trying to alert me of that? 

Yes, I cans wait till it goes to the machine, but the world is full of people who don't or won't leave messages, even after all these decades of voice mail and answering machines, some still won't talk into them. 

So if you have someone out in the world that you need to be worried about, a child, an elderly parent, a person in dire medical condition etc. you have a tendency to feel the need to answer the phone because those emergency type calls don't always come from a recognized number.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The CPR  call blocker was the best thing we ever purchased!  

Is there one for cell phones?

Honored Contributor

@MRDR wrote:

I understand the wisdom of this, but am very glad that I failed to follow it last year. The unknown number was my niece's cell phone. I had her landline number in memory, but not her cell

She was calling to tell me that her father, my brother, was in critical condition after a massive surgery for cancer. Failing to pick up the call would have caused me to miss that information. Even worse, because he insisted, no one outside of his wife and children had any idea he was ill. The news, therefore, even more devastating.

I'm sorry about your brother, hope he's OK now.

When anyone in my family needs to reach me from an unknown number, they text me first to say who they are.  "Hey mom this is me, I'm on so & so's phone"    Then I know to pick up when I get a call from that number.

Just something we do.    Because everyone knows I don't answer calls from an unknown number.

Valued Contributor

Even if you answer yes when they say your name, if they don't have your Credit Card number or any info on you, then how are you charged for anything? If you get something in the mail that you didn't order and a bill was sent with it for you to pay, you don't have to pay it because you didn't order it. "O" magazine kept sending me a bill for a subscription that I did not order and threatened to report non-payment to the Credit Agency. I just called them and asked them to provide proof that I ordered it. I never heard from them again. The burden is on them.  I agree with everyone, just don't answer the phone, if it's important they will leave a message and if you do answer, just ask who's calling.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I never ever answer a call unless I recognize the name or caller's number and I cannot understand why some people answer calls from a unknown name or number. 90% of the time they leave no message.  AT the end of every day I scroll through the missed calls list and block all those numbers that appear.

Some numbers are really bogus looking and you know better. But now there are out of area solicitors etc. that are some how making the number come up with local area codes.

I have a son, and yes I know his number. But what if he is using someone else's phone? What if he is in an emergency and someone from some number I don't know is trying to alert me of that? 

Yes, I cans wait till it goes to the machine, but the world is full of people who don't or won't leave messages, even after all these decades of voice mail and answering machines, some still won't talk into them. 

So if you have someone out in the world that you need to be worried about, a child, an elderly parent, a person in dire medical condition etc. you have a tendency to feel the need to answer the phone because those emergency type calls don't always come from a recognized number.

@Mominohio

I agree only in part with your comments.  

I doubt "the world is full of people who won't leave messages", especially if there's an emergency and someone needs to be reached as quickly as possible.  I just can't believe someone would be "afraid" to leave a message, unless it was a child.

Honored Contributor

If people REALLY need to get me from an unknown number, they have to leave a message.  Otherwise, they WILL NOT get in contact with me.  Period.  Today, no I don't feel bad about that at all!!!!

Honored Contributor

I answer no phone calls I do not recognize even the ones that have my area code in the display.  If it is actually for me from someone I know or know of they will leave a voice mail.  Otherwise, I just go about my business.  So far no one in my life as complained about never reaching me from non answered phone calls.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Instead of answering yes I would ask who is calling.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@Mominohio

I agree only in part with your comments.  

I doubt "the world is full of people who won't leave messages", especially if there's an emergency and someone needs to be reached as quickly as possible.  I just can't believe someone would be "afraid" to leave a message, unless it was a child.

You can believe what you want, but I know at least a half a dozen (mostly men) who will not leave messages. They simply hang up and might try later to call. I'm not willing to take the chance that it might be one of those very rare calls that could be 'the last one' or could have cost me a chance to be notified of something very serious, from which there is no going back.