Honored Contributor

Have you ever wondered why your USPS package follows the path it does...

...when coming or going?

I do. Often. And this isn't  just when it involves SurePost but an everyday package.

Currently, I'm watching a package mailed out on May 17th from Baltimore sit there till the 20th, then go to DC only to wind up in Boston.... it's going to Richmond VA so....why is it in Boston?

Before tracking, I wonder how many packages made many a "scenic journey" before being delivered and we never knew it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever wondered why your USPS package follows the path it does...

I have had packages take a tour of the entire USA on their way to me from HSN - which is only 90 miles from here. I don't know at all what QVC is doing wrong - but their shipping is awful anymore. And that is after their products take 5 or 7 days "in process".

Honored Contributor

@151949  This isn't a QVC or HSN package; just a package I mailed to a buddy in Richmond, lol.

Honored Contributor

@151949And yet, I ordered Susan Graver's TSV just as its last presentation finished late on Thursday (5/18) and I just tried it on!  Delivered early by USPS in perfect condition just now -   noon on Tuesday 5/23).  I did not pay extra, just the standard $3.  I love it -  too bad it's just too chilly to wear it this afternoon on LI .

I can see I also have a box coming via UPS -  out for delivery today.  That's also several days before the EDD. 

No idea why some things hand in process and some don't, but I am convinced how long it takes to get items has something to do with where you live and even who your delivery person is. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

...when coming or going?

I do. Often. And this isn't  just when it involves SurePost but an everyday package.

Currently, I'm watching a package mailed out on May 17th from Baltimore sit there till the 20th, then go to DC only to wind up in Boston.... it's going to Richmond VA so....why is it in Boston?

Before tracking, I wonder how many packages made many a "scenic journey" before being delivered and we never knew it.

@SahmIam

One of life's mysteries .........

Super Contributor

Working for the post office I can shed a little insight. Surepost is a smaller mailer that drops off mail to the post office and also picks up qvc returns from the post office. They may have to send the packages to a bigger hub that will sort the packages into the areas of the US. After these are sorted, they go into big bags and dropped off at individual post offices. On average day, we get 10-12 bags from surepost that could contain 50-75 packages in each bag. Then we sort them to the routes for delivery. Ups and fed ex work the same way on some of their deliveries.

It may take surepost several stops to get it sorted to the right post office.
Honored Contributor

@funinthesun  Very interesting and it matches what my PO has told me about Surepost; packages can sit for a few days before there are enough to make the required "size" for pickup.

THis isn't a Surepost package; just an everyday package I sent out. I've read that the scanners often mess up reading labels so packages get sent all over the place (which is why I think mine is visiting Boston at the moment).

It's also interesting where some of the hubs are and how Surepost has made it take longer than before it was around. Who, exactly, does it benefit? I ask because no one (USPS or UPS) I've asked likes it. We all know WE hate it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I call it Unsure Post.

Super Contributor

Surepost is just trying to get in on the shipping business. A lot of companies use this service. Places like qvc, ipsy, dollar shave etc... they must offer bulk shipping prices

As far as usps, I have seen parcels that get looped to the same office that it shouldn't be in. Once a package gets encoded with the wrong information, we have to cover up tracking numbers, zip codes to get it to the correct facility. Might be what's happening to yours sahmlam
Contributor

@funinthesun wrote:
Working for the post office I can shed a little insight. Surepost is a smaller mailer that drops off mail to the post office and also picks up qvc returns from the post office. They may have to send the packages to a bigger hub that will sort the packages into the areas of the US. After these are sorted, they go into big bags and dropped off at individual post offices. On average day, we get 10-12 bags from surepost that could contain 50-75 packages in each bag. Then we sort them to the routes for delivery. Ups and fed ex work the same way on some of their deliveries.

It may take surepost several stops to get it sorted to the right post office.

Interesting @funinthesun!

Thanks for sharing this.