Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

My recommendation is to not answer if you don't know who is calling.  Everything that is a number I don't know, I just block and never EVER pick up.

I so agree- I never answer a call from a number I do not recognize. Just like I never answer the door if I am not expecting anyone. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Phone Call

[ Edited ]

HappyDaze wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

My recommendation is to not answer if you don't know who is calling.  Everything that is a number I don't know, I just block and never EVER pick up.

I so agree- I never answer a call from a number I do not recognize. Just like I never answer the door if I am not expecting anyone. 

Exactly!  Maybe if people thought of it like that they would stop answering these calls.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

don't pick up the phone...that in itself encourages more phone calls because it is registered as a live line......you are much better off letting it go to answering and then blocking even though it is a pain...yes, spoofing is a reality but my scammers have decreased since I've started blocking.  Every couple of days I go through my phone and block almost all the calls as I check them online.   Finally it is beginning to result in fewer calls coming in.  

Honored Contributor

@patbea wrote:

Just answered the phone, said Hello, a few second pause then a lady says Sally & I replied Yes, then  she  hung up .    I have read about scamers wanting you to say yes so they can use it to prove you wanted to purchase an item. Does anyone know what I should do to protect our accounts?  Thank You So Much

"Check your credit card, phone and cable statements carefully for any unfamiliar charges. If you suspect you have been victimized, call the billing company and dispute anything you did not authorize. The earlier you identify the unauthorized charges on your account, the easier it will be to recover any lost money."

Link--> This phone scam just needs you to say 'yes.'

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

The CPR  call blocker was the best thing we ever purchased!  

Honored Contributor

I had a voicemail message the other day that was an automated message saying if this is VaBelle press 1.  After the 3rd time it said, by not hanging up you acknowledge that you are VaBelle and blah blah blah.

I matched the timestamp on the voicemail to a number on my caller ID and googled it. Nothing came up for it, so I'll have to see what I acknowledged.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35  Don't Don't Don't press the message.  I'm hoping what you are saying is that you received three messages, not that you pressed any numbers.  Unknown calls and messages are best left alone...acknowledging them makes the situation worse.

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I had a voicemail message the other day that was an automated message saying if this is VaBelle press 1.  After the 3rd time it said, by not hanging up you acknowledge that you are VaBelle and blah blah blah.

I matched the timestamp on the voicemail to a number on my caller ID and googled it. Nothing came up for it, so I'll have to see what I acknowledged.  

Frequent Contributor

What is the point of havin a landline then? Just get it disconnected if you're keeping it off the hook day & night 

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Curiosity killed the cat. What I grew up hearing.  I'm tempted to pick up some time thinking "what if", then, common sense takes over just hit 'block' on my HSN CAll Blocker machine.

end of worry.

Esteemed Contributor

I never ever answer a call unless I recognize the name or caller's number and I cannot understand why some people answer calls from a unknown name or number. 90% of the time they leave no message.  AT the end of every day I scroll through the missed calls list and block all those numbers that appear.