Honored Contributor

@janeec...hope the driver was fined....you were very lucky.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop Sign Texting

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have zero tolerance for people texting in the car while driving or stopped for a light/sigh....I wish the police would stop people and warn/ticket them......It is very obvious what they are doing and it's dangerous.

Lots of things people do in cars can be dangerous.  Not sure why checking texts while stopped at a red light is considered more of a problem than so many other things.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

You're kidding, right??

No.  How is checking your texts while at a dead stop waiting for it to change any different from changing radio stations, looking for something in your bag, giving snacks to your kids in the back seat.  You are not doing anything but sitting there.

You probably notice that the texting doesn’t end right as the light changes.This makes a slow start for everyone who wants to make that green light.I think texting feature should be disabled automatically while a vehicle is running.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

You're kidding, right??

No.  How is checking your texts while at a dead stop waiting for it to change any different from changing radio stations, looking for something in your bag, giving snacks to your kids in the back seat.  You are not doing anything but sitting there.

You probably notice that the texting doesn’t end right as the light changes.This makes a slow start for everyone who wants to make that green light.I think texting feature should be disabled automatically while a vehicle is running.

The same can be said for many other things that people may be doing while sitting at a red light, even just day dreaming listening to your favorate song.  So now it is an issue that you are in a hurry and are upset you did not make it throught the light.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@sidsmom@CrazyDaisy

I'm that person who was watching you drive. 

I would suggest watching the road ahead of you.

The law stipulates that.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It's not just the phone. My DH & I are fighting all the time because he is driving down the road fiddling with the radio or the GPS.

My car has radio controls on the steering wheel. It is 17 years old.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If they are stopped at a light, what harm is that doing?

Cause you have to honk when the light turns green. They just sit there because they don't see this.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If they are stopped at a light, what harm is that doing?

Cause you have to honk when the light turns green. They just sit there because they don't see this.

There is an endless number of things that could distract a driver while sitting a red light. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know what is so important in their lives that they can’t wait until they get to their destination to use the phone .... I know this is going to sound mean & offend some people but, if they cause an accident I hope they are the one to get seriously hurt & not the other innocent driver ... 🤨

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I was driving over the Walt Whitman bridge heading into Philadelphia at 5 AM the other day.  I had a car in the lane to my left driving erratic.  I already knew what that meant.  The person was texting.  She kept swerving into my lane.  I blared the horn twice and she continued texting. 

When I approached the toll booth, I told the Toll Attendant and pointed out the vehicle.  The Toll Attendant quickly called the police.  I watched the police chase her down and pull her over. 

I never have my phone out while driving..  It's always in my purse.  And anyone who thinks it's okay to sit at a red light or stop sign and text is a complete idiot.  You can very easily get rear ended.  Or if an emergency vehicle needs to use your lane, now you are too busy texting and not paying attention.  It's just plain stupid to be doing anything like that in your car, unless you pull over.

@Qshopper1991  I am so proud of you!  You may have saved a life!  Woman Very Happy