Honored Contributor

I think if someone is killed by texting, the text should be made public.  It might point how many people die for something REALLY stupid.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stop Sign Texting

[ Edited ]

It's certainly not just women who get engrossed in their phone and are doing this.  I've been behind plenty of men who are on their phone while stopped at a light.  The light turns green and they are sitting there because they can't be bothered to look up and see the green light.

I was next to a guy the other day driving a van and he had his phone on the steering wheel and with one hand was fiddling with it.  Sure enough, as I was passing him on the highway, he drifted over into my lane of traffic.  I beeped at him and he swerved back into his lane.

A few months ago my DH and I were driving up a 4 lane highway to our home and saw a woman in a pick-up truck taking selfies.

I also think the screens in the cars that show the text messages and a myriad of other things are equally as distracting.     

Trusted Contributor
The solution to this problem is to make any mobile device inoperable while the vehicle is in motion. Yes, that includes the passengers phone. How many times does a passenger show the driver something on their phone? I teach drivers education, and it's a known fact the brain can't multi-task if your concentrating on your phone conversation, your driving is now a secondary function. And yes, there is a difference between talking to a passenger and talking on the phone. Your passenger sees what you might have to react to on the road, the phone person can't see that, therefore they will continue to talk and distract you. Besides, in most states it's the law, always remember your kids are watching you. You use your phone your kids will too. Combine that with inexperience, that's a deadly mistake
Respected Contributor

Call me old fashioned, but people should not be doing anything in their vehicles except driving.   Cars have become entertainment centers  So far removed from their intended use, which is simply a machine made to get you from one place to another.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling my husband absolutely flips when people do this.  And of course the police are never around. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@willomenia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If they are stopped at a light, what harm is that doing?

your eyes aren't looking at the road around you thats the harm. besides, how important is that text anyway? 

You are stopped at  red light, why would you need to be looking at the road?

Because you are supposed to be paying attention to what is going on around you when you are operating a vehicle.  Everything is not just standing still because you happen to be stopped at a light.

I rarely say "duh", but "DUH!"

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@sidsmom@CrazyDaisy

I'm that person who was watching you drive. 

I would suggest watching the road ahead of you.

The law stipulates that.

You watch the road ahead of you, you see to both sides and behind you because you are equipped with mirrors.

No one keeps their eyes riveted on the road ahead if they are defensive drivers.  They have to have 360 vision.  

Surely we all know this.  If not, you need to go back to Driver Ed.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy

I hope that I'm NEVER behind you while you are at a stop sign or red light while texting.  Because I would not be very gracious to you, that's for sure.

You can't justify this, no matter how hard you try.

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
The solution to this problem is to make any mobile device inoperable while the vehicle is in motion. Yes, that includes the passengers phone. How many times does a passenger show the driver something on their phone? I teach drivers education, and it's a known fact the brain can't multi-task if your concentrating on your phone conversation, your driving is now a secondary function. And yes, there is a difference between talking to a passenger and talking on the phone. Your passenger sees what you might have to react to on the road, the phone person can't see that, therefore they will continue to talk and distract you. Besides, in most states it's the law, always remember your kids are watching you. You use your phone your kids will too. Combine that with inexperience, that's a deadly mistake

Does that include the radio & music players?

What about outside-the-car distractions?

And legally-impaired driving?

All these things make driving a secondary function.

All these things have been in our cars for decades.

But we have more accidents these days! 

HAS to be the cell phone!”

Answer: There are more people driving, so of course there will be

more accidents.

And...like many threads I’ve seen just in this closed environment

of this forum....many old folks want to keep driving longer, as they age.

Just that will make the accident #s rise, with no mention of a cell phone.

Wasn’t there a thread recently about an older man who got in an

accident, got his license revoked? But by-darn-it, he was going to

get it back.  Very unsafe driver & statistics show he will probably

have another accident...all without no mention of a cell phone. 

I feel sorry for all those working hard for MADD.

Seems like their cause has been forgotten. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Sooner!

I now think of my 18 year old, who doesn't text and drive (her phone is automatically disabled once she is in the car). 

I wouldn't want my 18 year old daughter, or any of my family or friends on the road with such a dangerous driver.  No common sense is used anymore.  It's truly sad.