Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Why would retired people get a check?  How have we been affected by loss of anything.

Believe it or not, @Mmsfoxxie, we have bills to pay and have jobs too.  We do not live off the land....  Get real for goodness sake.

@KatieB, I don't understand the sharpness of your words.  I'm retired, too, so I know darn well about bills.  As a retired teacher assistant, my pension is VERY small so I know about having just enough.  Take your attitude some place else, lady!

@Mmsfoxxie   My words were not and are not 'sharp'.  I was stating what myself and others were thinking, when you said 'why would retired people get a check'.  I don't understand why you would think that we (retired folks) would not get a check.

@KatieB, because I didn't understand that this stimulus was for anyone other than people displaced from their jobs due to the virus.  And I have no stock.  Obviously, I was in error as to who gets a check.  But me asking a question didn't require your harsh response.  I've reread your post and I still think your words were sharp and also condescending.  But that's ok, it didn't change my life.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Why would retired people get a check?  How have we been affected by loss of anything.

Believe it or not, @Mmsfoxxie, we have bills to pay and have jobs too.  We do not live off the land....  Get real for goodness sake.

@KatieB, I don't understand the sharpness of your words.  I'm retired, too, so I know darn well about bills.  As a retired teacher assistant, my pension is VERY small so I know about having just enough.  Take your attitude some place else, lady!

@Mmsfoxxie   My words were not and are not 'sharp'.  I was stating what myself and others were thinking, when you said 'why would retired people get a check'.  I don't understand why you would think that we (retired folks) would not get a check.

@KatieB, because I didn't understand that this stimulus was for anyone other than people displaced from their jobs due to the virus.  And I have no stock.  Obviously, I was in error as to who gets a check.  But me asking a question didn't require your harsh response.  I've reread your post and I still think your words were sharp and also condescending.  But that's ok, it didn't change my life.

@Mmsfoxxie   Thank you, have a good day.  My life has not changed in years, so I guess we're both okay...

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@masque wrote:

The misinformation on this thread (and a few others) is making me feel like...

hair.jpg

We Just don't know the answer yet.

@masque 

Since you think there is 'misinformation' here, why don't you give us the correct information, please. 

@KatieB,  since a final bill has not been passed and forwarded for signature no one can provide 100% correct information. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@beatlefan wrote:

People receiving Social Security have to pay taxes on it AND have to file taxes.

This is the type of misinformation I hate to see here. At a time like this people need the truth, facts.

This is not misinformation.  We receive Social Security, have taxes deducted every month from it and therefore have to file a tax return.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

It's based on income not age.Some seniors make a lot of money & some don't.

Their reasoning seems off. Those still making decent money don't seem (to me) to need more. Those laid off do. I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning behind the different amounts people will get. For example, if a person is working and is making $74000; why would that person need extra money? They are still earning what they always do. Am I missing something in my reasoning?

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@coconut1818"they are saying working people."

That is what I am hearing too.  To me that means folks who are on SS, SSI, SSDI who do not file taxes will not get any $$$. 

I think I did hear, that folks who receive SNAP will get a temporary increase in their benefits.

I guess we will find out sometime this a.m.

People will have to file a tax return to get this benefit check, otherwise you will not receive one.

What if you filed in 2019 for 2018 but have not filed yet for 2019. Do we have to rush and file?

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Here is at least a general idea of what the stimulus checks might amount to and it conforms to what I've seen reported elsewhere.....

<<The stimulus check amount would be determined by your 2018 income tax return (or in some special cases, your 2019 tax return). Anyone who earned less than $75,000 (or less than $150,000 in the case of a joint return) in 2018 could get a check of up to $1,200—though as mentioned above, very low earners would receive smaller amounts.>>

@novamc1 @Will it be based on the TAXABLE amount when you filed? 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

That is what I am hearing too.  To me that means folks who are on SS, SSI, SSDI who do not file taxes will not get any $$$. 

I think I did hear, that folks who receive SNAP will get a temporary increase in their benefits.

People will have to file a tax return to get this benefit check, otherwise you will not receive one.

What if you filed in 2019 for 2018 but have not filed yet for 2019. Do we have to rush and file?

@Mindy D If you have not filed yet for 2019, they will use your 2018 data.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

Here is at least a general idea of what the stimulus checks might amount to and it conforms to what I've seen reported elsewhere.....

<<The stimulus check amount would be determined by your 2018 income tax return (or in some special cases, your 2019 tax return). Anyone who earned less than $75,000 (or less than $150,000 in the case of a joint return) in 2018 could get a check of up to $1,200—though as mentioned above, very low earners would receive smaller amounts.>>

@novamc1 @Will it be based on the TAXABLE amount when you filed? 

@Mindy D It is based on your adjusted gross income (AGI).

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D I would not think so - especially since the tax deadline was just automatically extended to July 15.