Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:

One-time payments only, to be sent out in May (though they're still "discussing that) .And, yes, those on SS will be getting one, too. (As an aside, I don't know where this idea that SS recipient don't pay taxes comes from. Add to that their anemic SS COLAS...)

Screenshot_2020-03-25-11-38-41(1).png

Looking at this a married filer earning $210,000 with two kids will get $3500.00 despite his or her high earnings. What are these lawmakers thinking? 

@Mindy D you're not reading the graph correctly.  According to this chart, the $3,500 payment starts to lessen at a total income of $150,000, though I can't see where it actually hits 0 on the x-axis.  Your married filer earning $210,000 with 2 kids will earn between $0 and $500 depending on where that is.

EDIT: I used @lolakimono 's calculator and it told me this earner can expect a likely payment of $400.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

,  200,000@ year combined income is middle class in California. I won't get into it, but I imagine those with 210,000 income have lost work and have bills as well.  One can pay over 2,000@mo for a studio apt or small one bedroom in certain areas. It a beautiful state, and I love it...but wow it have grown expensive t live here.  I am lucky because bought this home 32 years ago and own it.  Anyone who has bought a home in this area the last few years has mortgages of at least 7,000 and up.  And taxes, we can't even claim all our taxes anymore

so, don't assume by income it is the same everywhere. Californian along with a couple other states are a different economic world.  One persons 200,000, is not another persons 200,000

Respected Contributor

I have a State pension. We had a choice for fixed or variable  the latter which leans on the Stock Market. I chose half of my retirement in each. The variable amount will be lessened, guessing $100 at least. I will be cutting back on donations for awhile.

I also have a small SS as did not work nearly all my  years for State pension. I worked nearly 50 years. Yes, we Seniors have paid our dues.

I have a handyman friend on disability who hasn't filed taxes in years. He is Veteran so health is covered and pays property taxes on his home only. He needs it more but not included in the formula. He is 62.

My neighbors in the Habitat Home on my road have 5 children so will receive $500 per child in addition.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I have a State pension. We had a choice for fixed or variable  the latter which leans on the Stock Market. I chose half of my retirement in each. The variable amount will be lessened, guessing $100 at least. I will be cutting back on donations for awhile.

I also have a small SS as did not work nearly all my  years for State pension. I worked nearly 50 years. Yes, we Seniors have paid our dues.

I have a handyman friend on disability who hasn't filed taxes in years. He is Veteran so health is covered and pays property taxes on his home only. He needs it more but not included in the formula. He is 62.

My neighbors in the Habitat Home on my road have 5 children so will receive $500 per child in addition.

@Gorgf,  if your handyman friend is on SS or receives disability through SSI he should be eligible to get $1,200 based on my understanding of the following which is excerpted from: washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/?fbclid=IwAR2PPYKiCY6ejh3F68MU50d6jJ-UbJKdRMvgT12xOU1o4-0MxCctEuJbABc&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

What about people on Social Security? People on Social Security are eligible to receive the coronavirus relief payment as long as their total income does not exceed the limit. Low-income Americans on Social Security do not need to file a tax return. As long as they received an SSA-1099 form (the Social Security benefit statement), the federal government will be able to send them a payment via the usual way they get their Social Security payment. Retirees and people on disability are both eligible for the special payment.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

Here is at least a general idea of what the stimulus checks might amount to and it conforms to what I've seen reported elsewhere.....

<<The stimulus check amount would be determined by your 2018 income tax return (or in some special cases, your 2019 tax return). Anyone who earned less than $75,000 (or less than $150,000 in the case of a joint return) in 2018 could get a check of up to $1,200—though as mentioned above, very low earners would receive smaller amounts.>>

This is ridiculous.  Why would low earners get less of a check?  Folks making over 50,000 should not get a check.  The checks should be given to those who despertately need it and phased out as you earn MORE income not less.   Low income people making under 20,000 should get the maximum and then less and less until it cuts off at 50,000.  Ridiculous that they are sending checks out to individuals earning 70,000 a year who are just going to invest it.

Woah just hold on a sec. We have a family to provide for and sometimes unexpected hard times hit those families, i.e., unexpected medical issues

(like a brain tumor or celiac disease not covered by crappy insurance) and maybe you don't realize this but hard times hit a lot of people and families.

For those people, that check may make the difference between going under and staying afloat. Stuff is expensive and families are struggling in this time when people are being laid off, even if temporarily. Have a heart.

Esteemed Contributor

@coconut1818  I read yesterday that everyone who has a SS# will get a check. Those who get SS or SSI will get a check. Social Security will send out those checks because they have your direst deposit information. Those who make enough to file taxes will get theirs through IRS.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:
If we do get one, I’ve already decided I’m donating mine.

@ALRATIBA    Better save it to pay the tax increase that's bound to come to pay for all this generosity

Well, where else could it come from?

@Silver Lining    Loans from China that must be repaid. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  people on SS would get a check. Social Security would deposit it in their account just like they would the regular SS.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB  that´s not true. Most people on SS don´t get enough to pay taxes so that´s why the funds would be deposited through the same acc that the regular SS goes into. Direct Deposit.