Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@coffee drinker 

Me too!

I miss my once a week lunch/shopping dates with DD at TJ Maxx, Ross, Home Goods & Marshalls!

@KingstonsMom   I know exactly how you feel! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the clarification about the stumulus- the info  reported by  Forbes Magazine the end of March said something other!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/03/27/your-guide-to-the-federal-stimulus-package/#5ee8a624...

I jsut  read more current info from Money magazine...

https://money.com/stimulus-check-advance-tax-refund/

Respected Contributor

Saving it for after this nightmare is over, in case groceries go sky high.

Trusted Contributor

I have some dental work that needs to be done.  Wish I could save it or invest it, but I need to fix my broken tooth.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

Ours will go back into our savings, to help offset the money we just spent on a new generator. Because wouldn't it just be perfect to lose power and lose our food supply!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Re: Stimulus Check

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@esmerelda  Go out and spend it is a figure of speech.  I am sure the majority of people will pay their bills with it...like car payments and rent and food.

This money will be helpful, but not enough for many. In states like NY, CA and HI it's peanuts compared to their cost of living.

@Carmie ~ Alaska's cost of living, too!  Food has always been expensive, but now, it's unreasonably high.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I didn't know this was a stimulus check. The economy doesn't need to be stimulated as was the case some years ago. 

I thought this was relief money for people affected by so many businesses being shut down. 

It sounds like many here don't need relief. A good thing, right?  If you didn't have a job, you didn't lose it. Why should you get momey?  The same with SS recipients and retired people. They were not layed off or furloughed. People who are working from home are getting it. And the self-employed. Why?  They're still working. 

Those who are getting it and don't need it sound anxious to run out and spend it.  Not pay current bills with it...just go shopping.  Maybe one or two here mentioned putting it aside to prepare for the next "hit" should it come.  Could it be everyone else has an emergency fund that will carry them through next time? 

I think it should have been disbursed after it was applied for.  Everyone who applied would have to show how they were affected (loss of job, reduced hours, etc.) in order to get it. The still-working, including the self-employed, might not have bothered. 

This is my opinion. 

The ONLY thing I agree with in your post is that this should only be for those who need it.  That's my personal opinion people can agree with or not.

Speaking as a self employed person who has not worked in a month and have ZERO  current income (nor a spouse supporting me), and not able to even apply for unemployment for probably another 2 weeks (I'm in PA), I can MOST CERTAINLY tell you I DEFINITELY need this to help pay bills. And I most certainly am 'bothered' about it. I don't have the luxury of vacation or sick days to use for this. If I don't work, I don't get paid squat! Don't assume about something you know nothing about!

I'm thankful to have a little money to survive on for now and family that I know would help out if asked, but I like being independent and support myself.  And it's getting harder every week I'm not working, and not knowing for how long.

@sometimesQVCaddict  If you are self employed and NOT working, I wasn't talking about you. My post said "those WORKING, including the self employed."  I'm glad you're getting help. All those who need it because of this current situation should have it.  

Those who have not been affected...it's a windfall.  Free money.  Borrowed from China. Enjoy!!  Younger generations will repay it. 

I don't see it as a windfall for anyone who pays taxes. It's simply a refund of money we have already given the government. I get tired of a lifetime of paying into a system and watching millions who never have (and probably never will) get my money and at prior times in my life, they lived better off my taxes than I could afford to. 

And honestly, we haven't missed a single paycheck, but I don't feel the least bit bad getting it. It was our money to begin with it, and I know we will be better about spending it wisely than the government would. 

Is the additional debt the government is going to have because of it a good thing? No. But they are going to spend it somewhere. I'm just glad to see people who pay in for a lifetime get a little of their own hard earned money back once in awhile. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How is stashing it in the bank going to stimulate the economy?  

Frequent Contributor

I'm self-employed and my income has been cut in half due to the impact of coronavirus.  Therefore, the stimulus check provides much-needed funds to pay for essentials.  Of course, I worry about the future, but at least this helps a bit.  

I'm sure that everyone who doesn't necessarily 'need' the check, but instead will invest or save the stimulus payment for the future, are indeed very grateful to not be struggling at this difficult time.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

How is stashing it in the bank going to stimulate the economy?  

@JeanLouiseFinch  that's probably why many financial gurus advised  to spend it!