Honored Contributor

Hanging on to it for quite awhile. Don't really know where this is going to go in the next year or so. We have seen no change in our income as my husband is an essential worker (UPS) so we will sit on it for just in case.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I didn't know this was a stimulus check. The economy doesn't need to be stimulated as was the case some years ago. 

I thought this was relief money for people affected by so many businesses being shut down. 

It sounds like many here don't need relief. A good thing, right?  If you didn't have a job, you didn't lose it. Why should you get momey?  The same with SS recipients and retired people. They were not layed off or furloughed. People who are working from home are getting it. And the self-employed. Why?  They're still working. 

Those who are getting it and don't need it sound anxious to run out and spend it.  Not pay current bills with it...just go shopping.  Maybe one or two here mentioned putting it aside to prepare for the next "hit" should it come.  Could it be everyone else has an emergency fund that will carry them through next time? 

I think it should have been disbursed after it was applied for.  Everyone who applied would have to show how they were affected (loss of job, reduced hours, etc.) in order to get it. The still-working, including the self-employed, might not have bothered. 

This is my opinion. 

@esmerelda: Lots of interesting questions, but you're asking the wrong audience. We can only speculate. They should probably be addressed to "The Powers That Be." 

Esteemed Contributor

Hubs retired in January. However, our 2019 taxes will show we don't qualify for stimulus check. Not complaining, but our income is vastly different from January 2020 and beyond. Will pick up taxes on Monday and find out if there are exceptions to rule. If there is a 2020 retirement exception and we do qualify, we'll hold the money in emergency fund and extend to family or friends who have lost their jobs. There are a few young families in our clan I'm concerned about.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I didn't know this was a stimulus check. The economy doesn't need to be stimulated as was the case some years ago. 

I thought this was relief money for people affected by so many businesses being shut down. 

It sounds like many here don't need relief. A good thing, right?  If you didn't have a job, you didn't lose it. Why should you get momey?  The same with SS recipients and retired people. They were not layed off or furloughed. People who are working from home are getting it. And the self-employed. Why?  They're still working. 

Those who are getting it and don't need it sound anxious to run out and spend it.  Not pay current bills with it...just go shopping.  Maybe one or two here mentioned putting it aside to prepare for the next "hit" should it come.  Could it be everyone else has an emergency fund that will carry them through next time? 

I think it should have been disbursed after it was applied for.  Everyone who applied would have to show how they were affected (loss of job, reduced hours, etc.) in order to get it. The still-working, including the self-employed, might not have bothered. 

This is my opinion. 

The ONLY thing I agree with in your post is that this should only be for those who need it.  That's my personal opinion people can agree with or not.

Speaking as a self employed person who has not worked in a month and have ZERO  current income (nor a spouse supporting me), and not able to even apply for unemployment for probably another 2 weeks (I'm in PA), I can MOST CERTAINLY tell you I DEFINITELY need this to help pay bills. And I most certainly am 'bothered' about it. I don't have the luxury of vacation or sick days to use for this. If I don't work, I don't get paid squat! Don't assume about something you know nothing about!

I'm thankful to have a little money to survive on for now and family that I know would help out if asked, but I like being independent and support myself.  And it's getting harder every week I'm not working, and not knowing for how long.

Esteemed Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

This is my opinion. 

The ONLY thing I agree with in your post is that this should only be for those who need it.  That's my personal opinion people can agree with or not.

Speaking as a self employed person who has not worked in a month and have ZERO  current income (nor a spouse supporting me), and not able to even apply for unemployment for probably another 2 weeks (I'm in PA), I can MOST CERTAINLY tell you I DEFINITELY need this to help pay bills. And I most certainly am 'bothered' about it. I don't have the luxury of vacation or sick days to use for this. If I don't work, I don't get paid squat! Don't assume about something you know nothing about!

I'm thankful to have a little money to survive on for now and family that I know would help out if asked, but I like being independent and support myself.  And it's getting harder every week I'm not working, and not knowing for how long.

@sometimesQVCaddict  If you are self employed and NOT working, I wasn't talking about you. My post said "those WORKING, including the self employed."  I'm glad you're getting help. All those who need it because of this current situation should have it.  

Those who have not been affected...it's a windfall.  Free money.  Borrowed from China. Enjoy!!  Younger generations will repay it. 

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

This is my opinion. 

@sometimesQVCaddict  If you are self employed and NOT working, I wasn't talking about you. My post said "those WORKING, including the self employed."  I'm glad you're getting help. All those who need it because of this current situation should have it.  

Those who have not been affected...it's a windfall.  Free money.  Borrowed from China. Enjoy!!  Younger generations will repay it. 

I appreciate the clarification, sorry it hit a nerve!  Just a little tense right now as I'm sure a lot of people are.  Yes I'm VERY grateful to have a 'backup' if needed, not everyone has that option. I just like supporting myself and earning my own income. And to not be able to do that right now and for who knows how long is really starting to get to me.  I count my blessings every day and am hopeful I don't run out of money before this ends BUT will do what is necessary to flatten the curve!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict I completely inderstand. I didn't intend to add to your stress. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stimulus Check

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@esmerelda   I agree with you, but it would cost more to send this money to only people who have lost their jobs, then it does to send to everyone within a certain income bracket.

It would also take longer to identify jobless people which would delay the money to those who truly need it.

Many self-employed are not working...especially those who own small business like hair and nail salons...even dentists.  How about Realtors who work only on commission?

People who are self employed pay more taxes on their income than those who work for others.  Some are just getting by. Many will lose their business over this.

BTW...our government is asking us to go out and spend it.  We are supposed to be stimulating the ecomony and helping businesses.

My DH said I can have his share as well as my own.  I was forced to buy a car this week and will put my money back into savings.  I already spent enough to keep the dealership and the salesman happy for a while.

@Carmie Go out and spend it?  Do you have a source for that direction?There are a lot of "stay home" orders in place and lots of businesses not open. How do you stimulate a closed economy?  The stimulus it needs is to be reopened. 

eta...Your first two paragraphs...I've never been a fan of the shotgun approach. Also, if one had to apply for it, there would be no sorting of who lost their job and who is still working. 

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict I completely inderstand. I didn't intend to add to your stress. 

Thanks!  My 3 kitties are keeping me sane right now and providing much needed distraction! Smiley Happy  Plus getting home projects done I never have time for plus cleaning and organization projects, so trying to make the best of the situation! 

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  Go out and spend it is a figure of speech.  I am sure the majority of people will pay their bills with it...like car payments and rent and food.

This money will be helpful, but not enough for many. In states like NY, CA and HI it's peanuts compared to their cost of living.