Valued Contributor

I think it's awful to spray a spider like that.  Can you imagine how that must feel?  Also,  the sprays are so toxic to have in your home for you and your pets.  Killing something just because it exists feels very wrong to me, particularly killing them when they are outside.  I catch and release any that get inside.  It's not that difficult.

Respected Contributor

I am a complete spider phob-yuck!

@haddon9 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

I've noticed they are big and fat this time of year and make huge webs.  They're fast when feel in danger....keep a can of hairspray nearby - be very calm - aim can as up close to them as possible - and then FIRE.   Sticky hairspray will dry and freeze their 'parts' from moving.  Shhh - take good aim!

@fthunt . I use this too...another good thing to use is spray adhesive.  I work on crafts in my basement and I have used the spray adhesive....slows them down.

We used to get a lot of them down in the basement. DH put stuff (not sure what) around the foundation so we don't get as many nasty spiders now...knock on wood!

Honored Contributor

Spider season is another reason I am not fond of fall.  

For a month now the big brown wood spiders have been very active in trying to get inside to find a warmer place to live.   

We contracted for monthly service with our exterminator 2 years ago, and always ask for heavier spray starting in July.   My husband mixed up his own spray and leaves the sprayer outside, so he can kill spiders at the garage doors every night.   This is looking like a very bad year for spiders.   

Honored Contributor

@Glittergali wouldn’t kill spiders if they would quit biting me...They attack and i am the defender.My area has really aggressive spiders.

Honored Contributor

the spiders are bad this year in my area east coast because of all the rain we had all spring-summer. yesterday a huge i believe it is called orb spider made a huge web/nest right at the shelter entrance for all our mail boxes of our development.  i saw this on my daily walks. don't know if mailman removed the web , but web was gone when i went to get mail in the afternoon.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

From every human, there is a spider living just six feet away.  That's what one of my biology teachers told me one time.

hhz045.gif  

@SilleeMee  Now I KNOW I'm gonna have nightmares (!!!)   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

Shades of "Harry Potter" anyone?

I don't kill spiders, I just coexist with them.  If they get in the house, I capture them and release them outside.  They have a place in the ecosystem.

This is me. @Venezia people should be aware of the good spiders do and put the sprays down. I keep a small cup and piece of cardboard at the ready to capture and relocate them. Works for me😉 (and you!)

@MoJoV

Great!  Nice to know you are there!  Please leave your phone number so we can call you to take care of our spiders!  animated-smileys-laughing-016.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

Shades of "Harry Potter" anyone?

I don't kill spiders, I just coexist with them.  If they get in the house, I capture them and release them outside.  They have a place in the ecosystem.

This is me. @Venezia people should be aware of the good spiders do and put the sprays down. I keep a small cup and piece of cardboard at the ready to capture and relocate them. Works for me😉 (and you!)

@MoJoV

Great!  Nice to know you are there!  Please leave your phone number so we can call you to take care of our spiders!  animated-smileys-laughing-016.gif

Reading this thread,I'd be awfully busy with my cup and cardboard! 😵  Seriously,I know some spiders are dangerous (brown recluse) but most are not.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

my daughter has been sending me pictures of a huge spider weaving a huge web at her back door.....it's just beautiful!

I think spider webs are beautiful too, they're incredible really.  Are we weird or what, in the minority I guess.

I really don't like to kill any insects, actually.  I try to avoid it.  Most insects don't bother me at all.  I have sort of a dislike of worms, but that's it.  I just find worms yucky in appearance, but I try to tell myself they're benign creatures, and so wonderful for the garden. 

I do worry about spider bites, I know they can be harmful. Reminds me that twice this spring I was bitten by Daddy Long Legs while gardening, and boy, did they sting.

Honored Contributor

Was it this big, @Snoopp?

image.png