Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking if States

[ Edited ]

@Sheila P-Burg  and all... Louisiana has parhishes instead of counties and Alaska has boroughs. Two states, RI and Connecticut, have geographical counties but no county governments. And I admit I Googled it...

Smiley LOL

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg  and all... Louisiana has parhishes instead of counties and Alaska has boroughs. Two states, RI and Connecticut, have geographical counties but no county governments. And I admit I Googled it...

Smiley LOL

You've got it right @stevieb @but I'll have to give your gold star to Mr.Google lol. ⭐️

And New Orleans's city limits are also the boundaries for Orleans Parish.  But the NOLA metro area includes parts of several other parishes as well.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags  I knew Louisiana had parishes instead of counties, but didn't know Alaska has boroughs, which I find interesting... Maybe worth half a star... Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@shoesnbags  I knew Louisiana had parishes instead of counties, but didn't know Alaska has boroughs, which I find interesting... Maybe worth half a star... Smiley Very Happy

@stevieb 

I couldn't find a half star emoji, so here ya go...⭐️😉

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

The things I learn on this forum!  I didn't know a single state in this group, and didn't even know that there are states referred to as commonwealths.

I live in the only state that does not have counties.  

I'd want to say a state that was too small to have counties (like RI or Delaware), but I know that DE has counties.  (Although it only has one area code).  Does your state have parishes?

that would be an interesting question......which states only have one area code? there are a lot more than i thought!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@wildcat fan  ...... Puerto Rico is referred to as a Commonwealth but only 4 states (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Virginia) have the legal right to use it in their names.

@Sheila P-Burg   Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@wildcat fan  ...... Puerto Rico is referred to as a Commonwealth but only 4 states (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Virginia) have the legal right to use it in their names.

I remember Puerto Rico being called a "possession."