Honored Contributor

Re: Some observations on a day out

@LipstickdivaI agree about the masks especially cloth ones which I cannot wear for more than a few minutes at a time.  At the suggestion of one of the posters here--KitKat?? -- I ordered a face shield from Esty yesterday, due to arrive Thursday.  I'm hoping this will be more comfortable and allow me to wear it for a longer period of time.

I saw a poster say that she's wasn't concerned about "social distancing" because she was wearing a mask???  IMO masks give minimal protection and are not the be all and end all solution to this virus.  Stay away from others.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@LipstickdivaI agree about the masks especially cloth ones which I cannot wear for more than a few minutes at a time.  At the suggestion of one of the posters here--KitKat?? -- I ordered a face shield from Esty yesterday, due to arrive Thursday.  I'm hoping this will be more comfortable and allow me to wear it for a longer period of time.

I saw a poster say that she's wasn't concerned about "social distancing" because she was wearing a mask???  IMO masks give minimal protection and are not the be all and end all solution to this virus.  Stay away from others.

Not much social distancing this past week and week-end.   Didn't see or hear much concern over it.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Reuters, this morning is running this article:

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says

ROME, May 31 (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from COVID-19, with 33,415 people dying since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21. It has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019.

However new infections and fatalities have fallen steadily in May and the country is unwinding some of the most rigid lockdown restrictions introduced anywhere on the continent.

Zangrillo said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of infections and politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

"We've got to get back to being a normal country," he said. "Someone has to take responsibility for terrorizing the country."

The government urged caution, saying it was far too soon to claim victory.

"Pending scientific evidence to support the thesis that the virus has disappeared ... I would invite those who say they are sure of it not to confuse Italians," Sandra Zampa, an undersecretary at the health ministry, said in a statement.

"We should instead invite Italians to maintain the maximum caution, maintain physical distancing, avoid large groups, to frequently wash their hands and to wear masks."

A second doctor from northern Italy told the national ANSA news agency that he was also seeing the coronavirus weaken. "The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today," said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

"It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different." (Reporting by Crispian Balmer; Additional reporting by Giuseppe Fonte; Editing by Giles Elgood)

@GrailSeeker This is fantastic if it turns out to be true....hoping that not only does it die out over the summer (yes it could return in the fall), but that as it evolves it becomce much less virulent!  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Not much social distancing this past week and week-end.   Didn't see or hear much concern over it.

@Hoovermom, another poster said the same thing yesterday, I think it was. I don't understand because I've seen tons of references concerned about the spread of the virus both from many not wearing masks but more importantly not physically distancing themselves. There was even an article dedicated to this topic in today's Los Angeles Times.

Watching the scenes, however, I noticed many WERE wearing masks. Of course, certain ones were not.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Hoovermom, another poster said the same thing yesterday, I think it was. I don't understand because I've seen tons of references concerned about the spread of the virus both from many not wearing masks but more importantly not physically distancing themselves. There was even an article dedicated to this topic in today's Los Angeles Times.

Watching the scenes, however, I noticed many WERE wearing masks. Of course, certain ones were not.

I must have missed it @suzyQ3 ....

Super Contributor

@Mominohio @Thanks so much. I love that place and really miss it. We always saw tons of people there as soon as the weather is nice. So nothing seems to have changed. Actually just drove through the area to go bike riding on the trail.  The Amish restaurants and the furniture stores are nice and bring in the buses. Time will tell but I think it can't be good. Wonder how the Amish will do. We always saw their buggies on the bike trail coming from the Walmart store 😁

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Reuters, this morning is running this article:

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says

ROME, May 31 (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

@GrailSeeker This is fantastic if it turns out to be true....hoping that not only does it die out over the summer (yes it could return in the fall), but that as it evolves it becomce much less virulent!  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!!

But yet today I read an article on USAToday about schools in Korea having to close back down because of another spread of the Virus; also last week France had over 50 students and teachers that had come down with the virus after going back to school.

Valued Contributor

I live in Northern VA and things were given the go ahead to start re-opening on Friday (restaurants go do the outdoor seating, some were using part of their parking lots to temporarily have seating; non-essential stores could open, but none of the bigger stores had opened as of Sunday).

I came back down to parent's house (still N VA, but different County) where Kohl's has been open for several weeks, and several other stores had finally opened (Home Store & And That!) - I shopped at Kohl's as I was looking for some baby clothes as they were no longer available online to ship directly to the new mother.

My parent's neighbor went to St. Simons Island, GA last friday before Memorial Day and came back on Friday - she went to grocery store down there and almost no one was wearing a Mask; while on beach area people weren't practicing social distance, she got up a moved as people got close to where she was.