Trusted Contributor

Re: Some observations on a day out

My county has over 4000 cases; we still are red although most of the state is yellow or green. I have people around me who got " tired" of masks and stay at home orders after a month. However, my next door neighbor's mom died five weeks in.  Another neighbor's relative now has died. People often complain about the " rules." Interestingly, two complaining neighbors early in this process now are complaining again, this time that no one emphasized how serious this virus is as they look to blame others.  At the end of the day, I believe we all our responsible for our own choices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  We have been visiting places in Lancaster, PA every couple of weeks since this started. Yesterday we were at Hoover's farm market in Goodville, East Earl Township. It was packed! The Hoover workers were not wearing masks, but nearly everyone else was. License plates from all over. We bought homegrown asparagus, strawberries and hothouse tomatoes. Their flower plant supply was fantastic! I saw my girlfriend there as well. She was on a  pilgrimage to several nurseries in Lancaster. Lancaster has become our new supermarket. We visit butcher shops, Centerville Bulk Foods, Lapps Dairy and Zook's Pies. Masks? They don't need no stinkin' masks!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I expect this type of response can be seen in each state as restrictions are lifted.  People are going hog wild and doing whatever they want.  

I have never felt we had a snowballs chance of curtailing the spread of this virus when it boils down to human cooperation.   

I was being so positive about this.  It never occurred to me that people would fight the suggestions given by medical experts.  People are just acting like its nothing.  Thank God all churches in my area did not open.  People have to have common sense.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Mominohio Have there been any announcements there about K-12 schools for fall?  I was reading online today about a Massachusetts district that has let go all music, art, and P.E. teachers.  Some were commenting on that article by saying Ohio schools are getting ready to do the same.  I thought that was odd considering your earlier comments in this thread and wondered if you had heard anything like that?

@wildcat fan 

I have not heard anything about Ohio schools and what they are going to do for the upcoming year. I used to know a bunch of teachers, but they have all retired! LOL 

Well, I just Googled it and DeWine says they are going back! There may be altered schedules, like half days or every other days,  with online learning in between. Mask for students and teachers, etc.

It's my understanding that they are exploring and kind of preparing for all possibilities at this point in case there is a big spike in cases. I think they want to be better prepared to function more fully for online learning should the need arise. 

They have stared cancelling fairs which are big in this state. The Ohio State Fair has been cancelled as well as many county fairs. They may be letting some of the kids show their animals, but it will be for the bidding and buying only with no audience and things I'm sure. 

I've heard some colleges (not sure if it was Ohio or elsewhere) already know they aren't starting fall semester in person, and others waiting to see.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing that @Mominohio.  Around here, they have been saying there is a committee that will make recommendations, but first they were addressing how to do summer school.  I think it's interesting how different states are handling this and appreciate hearing from everyone here.  

When I go out, it seems there are more without masks than there are with masks.

Honored Contributor

I am in Nevada and teachers have no idea what Fall will look like.  They said maybe year round?  who knows.

Trusted Contributor

We went to Pier One. 20 people let inside at a time. About half in line wore a mask.None of the liquidater staff had masks. This was my first non-essential store visit.

BTW highest price reduction was only 30% off.

Respected Contributor

Cities here in Alabama have already scheduled school openings in the Fall....yeah.

Honored Contributor

I personally have not been in any store where a mask is required.  

I was in Sam's Club and Target on Saturday.  I wore my mask to both places.  I had to leave Sam's Club sooner than I had planned because I was starting to get a headache from the mask and being warm.  I would say it was 50/50 in there with mask wearing.

I grocery shopped yesterday sans mask because I just couldn't.  My nose was so plugged from my allergies being bad.  I tried but the store had the heat on and I was so hot and my nose so plugged, I had to pull it off.  I shopped as quickly as I could and got out, speaking to no one.  I felt awful not wearing a mask.  

I think as it gets hotter and this continues to go on, we are going to see less people wearing masks. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reuters, this morning is running this article:

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says

ROME, May 31 (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from COVID-19, with 33,415 people dying since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21. It has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019.

However new infections and fatalities have fallen steadily in May and the country is unwinding some of the most rigid lockdown restrictions introduced anywhere on the continent.

Zangrillo said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of infections and politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

"We've got to get back to being a normal country," he said. "Someone has to take responsibility for terrorizing the country."

The government urged caution, saying it was far too soon to claim victory.

"Pending scientific evidence to support the thesis that the virus has disappeared ... I would invite those who say they are sure of it not to confuse Italians," Sandra Zampa, an undersecretary at the health ministry, said in a statement.

"We should instead invite Italians to maintain the maximum caution, maintain physical distancing, avoid large groups, to frequently wash their hands and to wear masks."

A second doctor from northern Italy told the national ANSA news agency that he was also seeing the coronavirus weaken. "The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today," said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

"It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different." (Reporting by Crispian Balmer; Additional reporting by Giuseppe Fonte; Editing by Giles Elgood)