Honored Contributor

I used to play cribbage with my father.  I don't know that I'd remember how to play it now. I also like actual books, cards, and newspapers. Had a Kimble, didn't like it, so I donated it.

Honored Contributor

Those of you who like Solitaire, try Free Cell. I play it online a lot, and it relaxes me. I LOVE games! At one time my family did too - we always got a family game for Christmas and would sit and play Christmas Day. I continued the tradition my family had since I was young. I mention it now and they look at me like I'm crazy. I just told DD yesterday we have plenty of time to sit and play a board game! 

@occasionalrain - My dad got me a Cribbage board too when I was young. He taught me to play, but I never did much. I preferred Chess.

My mom was a huge Bridge player. She belonged to two groups as long as I can remember. When I was little I would love to watch her prepare to host and make her fancy dessert, then later listen to the ladies talking and laughing. The whole house smelled like different perfumes. They always got dressed up, until the later years. She and my aunt (when she was visiting once) tried and tried to teach me, but I just couldn't "get" it. When I was in college I learned to play Canasta. DH and I used to play that a lot with our friends when we were first married. Chinese Checkers was also something we played a lot in college. 

I'll play anything! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes I think when you play on line it is already programmed for you to win or lose, but when you use your own cards, the results are not predictable.  In addition, when you have a partner for card games or such they sometimes make the stupidest plays that even a novice would know not to do.  So, I think playing with people and with your own cards is a lot more fun, but I do play online because it is readily accessible and you don't have to wait to have a foursome so you can play.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

At home I have always kept a deck in a basket in my living room.  My grandmother did the same when I was growing up so I just followed her lead.  Sometimes I catch a glimpse of them and play a few hands.  For some reason it seems to be what I do for sure the last 30 to 45 minutes before it is time to leave to a big family feast, like Thanksgiving.  Food is ready, I am ready but just not quite time to go.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I like Klondike, using two decks and building both up and down. For that, I use two of the very small card decks.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Episode 15: 54-40 And Fight – Here's The Story: Every Episode of ...

Valued Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Those of you who like Solitaire, try Free Cell. I play it online a lot, and it relaxes me. I LOVE games! At one time my family did too - we always got a family game for Christmas and would sit and play Christmas Day. I continued the tradition my family had since I was young. I mention it now and they look at me like I'm crazy. I just told DD yesterday we have plenty of time to sit and play a board game! 

@occasionalrain - My dad got me a Cribbage board too when I was young. He taught me to play, but I never did much. I preferred Chess.

My mom was a huge Bridge player. She belonged to two groups as long as I can remember. When I was little I would love to watch her prepare to host and make her fancy dessert, then later listen to the ladies talking and laughing. The whole house smelled like different perfumes. They always got dressed up, until the later years. She and my aunt (when she was visiting once) tried and tried to teach me, but I just couldn't "get" it. When I was in college I learned to play Canasta. DH and I used to play that a lot with our friends when we were first married. Chinese Checkers was also something we played a lot in college. 

I have not thought of Canasta in years. We used to fix enough snacks to last half the night because it seemed to take half the night to finish a game. Lots and lots of cards. And Pitch was a rousing game of fun. I cannot remember how to play either one now. Played a lot of Wah Hoo (spelling.) Maybe that was Chinese Checkers? Such fun in those days. Maybe all of this going on will bring back those type of things for entertainment.

Honored Contributor

@nomar wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

I have not thought of Canasta in years. We used to fix enough snacks to last half the night because it seemed to take half the night to finish a game. Lots and lots of cards. And Pitch was a rousing game of fun. I cannot remember how to play either one now. Played a lot of Wah Hoo (spelling.) Maybe that was Chinese Checkers? Such fun in those days. Maybe all of this going on will bring back those type of things for entertainment.

During the 80's my husband and I for years had a standing Friday night Canasta night with another couple.  We would stop so that we could watch Dallas then go back to the cards and Sangrias.