Honored Contributor

Re: Solicitors overkill!!!...a vent

@denisemb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

We never have solicitors knocking on our front door.  Our little town requires solicitors to have a license with a fee attached.  That pretty much killed the mood.  They did allow the fire department to collect for charity while motorists were stopped at traffic lights until citizens complained so much they finally had to abandon that as well.  It is aggravating as all get out.  Our problem is the dang telephone and telemarketers.  We are on a national no call list but at least once every three months I have to re-register to stop it.

ETA:  I never answer the door if I am here alone.  Our neighbors and family all come to the back door. 

@KentuckyWoman  Oh how I can relate to those telemarketers and ROBOCALLS which are illegal in our state, and even though I am on BOTH the state and national DO NOT CALL LISTS I still get tons of them...... And even if you use caller ID and don't answer it's darn right annoying to stop in the middle of what your doing to check your phone!!!  Oh you can buy a device for a couple hundred dollars but why should we have to go through the expense when it's illegal......  I've reported the numbers to the federal government website but it doesn't stop them..... On one national business that wouldn't stop calling I actually filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, some head honcho called me and apologized and said it was the fault of a regional sales person and he would see that the calls are stopped..... and they did!

@Spurt

I might get slapped on the wrist for this, but we bought this phone for $100 on HSN and it was the best money ever spent!

ETA:  I'd recommend buying it on QVC if it were available.

https://www.hsn.com/products/panasonic-corded-and-cordless-phone-system-wcall-block/1606147

@denisemb  Thank you for the information

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have to tell you about the Frozen Meat Truck that came around my cul-du-sac where I used to live.  He'd park in the center of the street and go to each neighbor telling them that the neighbor before them bought a TON of stuff because it's so good....

I don't buy meat from a truck.

And when he made his fifth or sixth visit to my door in a month I finally had enough of his carp.  He wouldn't take no for an answer and was trying to make me think I was missing out of what my neighbors were all enjoying.  I told him that I didn't care what they bought but I didn't buy meat from the back of a truck.....EVER!  I guess I offended him because he got a little surly with me when I told him that he might as well save his time and trouble and skip my house because my attitude would not change.  It was at this point that my 6'2" DH came to the door to see what the fuss was all about.....  he left, never came back to my door, no other "Meat Salesman" came to my door after that!  I saw him on occasion in our little neighborhood but not often.....

I felt sorry for him, but I didn't choose his profession nor did I invite him to my door.... but not sorry enough to spend money on his meat!  Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

We don't have much problem at home, since we live in a rural area with long driveways. Telemarketers are the main issue there.

However, we've had to start locking our office door (opens onto a downtown sidewalk). When the city passed a law against panhandling on the street, they just started walking right into businesses to beg for money! Solicitors that have nothing to do with our business are a problem, too, along with people wanting to use our phone/restroom--I suspect most of those just want to case the place! We've had people come in drunk, high on drugs too. Luckily we are NOT a retail business, so don't depend on walk-ins.

I had a "No Soliciting/No Public Restroom" sign on the door...before we started locking it, solicitors would just walk in and say "I saw your sign, but I think you'd really be interested in my products". Sheesh!

Respected Contributor

we live in a gated community and that stops them.  it doesn't stop the phone calls though.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

We never have solicitors knocking on our front door.  Our little town requires solicitors to have a license with a fee attached.  That pretty much killed the mood.  They did allow the fire department to collect for charity while motorists were stopped at traffic lights until citizens complained so much they finally had to abandon that as well.  It is aggravating as all get out.  Our problem is the dang telephone and telemarketers.  We are on a national no call list but at least once every three months I have to re-register to stop it.

ETA:  I never answer the door if I am here alone.  Our neighbors and family all come to the back door. 

@KentuckyWoman  Oh how I can relate to those telemarketers and ROBOCALLS which are illegal in our state, and even though I am on BOTH the state and national DO NOT CALL LISTS I still get tons of them...... And even if you use caller ID and don't answer it's darn right annoying to stop in the middle of what your doing to check your phone!!!  Oh you can buy a device for a couple hundred dollars but why should we have to go through the expense when it's illegal......  I've reported the numbers to the federal government website but it doesn't stop them..... On one national business that wouldn't stop calling I actually filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, some head honcho called me and apologized and said it was the fault of a regional sales person and he would see that the calls are stopped..... and they did!

@Spurt

I might get slapped on the wrist for this, but we bought this phone for $100 on HSN and it was the best money ever spent!

ETA:  I'd recommend buying it on QVC if it were available.

https://www.hsn.com/products/panasonic-corded-and-cordless-phone-system-wcall-block/1606147

@denisemb  Thank you for the information

I have a recording on my phone that says, "this number doesn't take sales calls.   If this is a sales call,  please hang up now",  then the phone rings presumably without a seller on the line.   It works about 95% of the time.   If there is a salesman on the line,  I have free rein to be as nasty as I wish since he's violating my request. 

This is a recording my phone company,  Century Link,  supplies. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I 'still' say that we should have a phone bill price reduction if we cannot answer our phone unless we run to it and try to read the incoming call phone number.  We are paying full price for only half of the phone service.   Actually, someone here (allegedly) said that the FCC (or whatever initials)  approved the phone companies to block most/all of the scam phone calls, but the companies won't, (allegedly), for whatever reason.  (Keep in mind that this is only second-hand information, only what was stated here on the forums, and might not be true at all.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If a solicitor came to my door 3 days consecutively, I would report him to the police and to his employer, probably after the second visit. That sounds scary to me and very aggressive.

Respected Contributor

my precious baby keeps solitaires away

Honored Contributor

I don't ever answer the door, unless I look outside and see a friend or relative's car out front.  Our area has had daytime break-in's, two of which the front doors were actually knocked down, in broad daylight.   Robbers don't seem to care who sees or hears them now-a-days.  The police have been advising neighbors to please call them, even if we hear something, and that they won't mind at all if it's a false alarm type of call.  (Residents often think that they don't want to 'bother' law enforcement, etc., etc.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I went out and bought bright neon green paper and I will make a sign today to put in my window near our door. I don't know what I should write. I need to look at your suggestions again so that they get the message!