Esteemed Contributor

Do you keep your tree (if you celebrate Christmas) lit during the day, if you are home?  Or do you turn it on only at night?

I turn mine on as soon as I wake up in the morning and leave it on all day.  I turn it off when I leave the house or when we go to bed at night.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is your Christmas Tree lit?

Usually we light it from dusk on.  It's too sunny here to see the lights.  Actually we have four trees--and this place is tiny!

I don't have any of them lit because I'm in a bad mood....lol.  Have to fly to Chicago tomorrow (wedding) and don't want to go!  (40* difference there---and in the wrong direction!)

Can you see your lights during the day?

Esteemed Contributor

Mine comes on at dusk thanks to my timer.
Valued Contributor

I turn it on when I get home from work and turn it off when I go to bed.   On weekends, I turn it on during the day if it's dreary, but not if it's sunny.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine is only lit at night and sometimes on dreary days.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Do you keep your tree (if you celebrate Christmas) lit during the day, if you are home?  Or do you turn it on only at night?

I turn mine on as soon as I wake up in the morning and leave it on all day.  I turn it off when I leave the house or when we go to bed at night.

My late husband loved Christmas, he did all the decorating and he would do the same as you with the exception of leaving the lights on when we left the house. I only put up a small tree since his passing and only put the lights on when my granddaughter is here when it's dark out.  

Respected Contributor

I'm like you, I like my trees lit as long as I'm home, so they get turned on when I wake up and only get turned off during the day if I have to go out.  Same thing with my mantel lights and garland, I want them lit if I'm home.

My 4 year old granddaughter spent the night a few days ago and when we got up in the morning I turned on the tree and she got so excited.  She looked at me and said "Oh Nana, you woke up the tree", just melted my heart.

Honored Contributor

i keep ours on only at night. i usually light it between 4-5pm and then turn it off around midnight. i am always afraid that a strand of lights will go out and THAT really bothers me. i try to prevent that by not having them on all day long. one year two strands of lights went out and guess what we did? yes.......removed all of the decorations and lights......replaced the two strands and then put the decorations back on.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually turn it on early in the morning when it is still dark but then turn it off during the day.  I typically turn it back on around 5:30 in the evening.  I do leave in on longer during the day if it is cloudy or dreay outdoors.  I already dread taking it down.  I enjoy the tree so much.  I have a lot of beautiful old ornaments that belonged to my mother and ornaments I have added during the years.  It is is our living room and we spend every evening in there reading and listening to music. 

Honored Contributor

I have an aluminum tree w/colorwheel.  It usually gets turned on around 4PM and stays on until we go to bed, but we'll have it on longer on the weekends, if we're staying home.  When we've had a traditional tree with strung lights and assorted decorations, it would be on throughout the day and remain on until bedtime.