Honored Contributor

Re: Solicitors overkill!!!...a vent

I remind myself that they are just doing their jobs, but I don't like the phone calls that come in when we are relaxing in the evening.
Honored Contributor

Based on all the reports of people following UPS and other delivery trucks, and stealing just delivered packages, this is even more suspect.     Selling something or asking for donations is a great way to check out each home and look for guard dogs and who looks home and who isn't around.  

I think the local police dept needs to get a heads up as to the frequency of these shenanigans ... they can't all be legitimate!

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I had a scare where a young man who was clearly not from this neighborhood, came to my door at night.  I was trusting enough to answer the door.  He had a 18 gallon Rubbermade tote that and he was selling junk for a drug rehab program.  I told him I was on the phone and didn't have time to look through his "treasures."  To get rid of him, I just gave him a $5.00 bill and sent him on his way.

After this incident,  I thought of what might have happened.  The next day,  I put up a sign in my side window by the door.  It says:

"Absolutely No Soliciting" Thank You.  

All I did was type the message on my computer, laminated it, and taped it on the inside of the window.

In the fifteen years I've had that sign posted, I have only had my doorbell ring one time.  People do respect it.

I also have an alarm system which is seen through the front that clearly shows that it is armed (in red).  

Respected Contributor

@sunshinekate:

They can get in several ways: walking through woods, biking through woods, friends or acquaintances of folks who live there, riders in vehicles that have passes, etc.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I live very rural, and soliciting is rare these days.  About twice a year a man comes around with a freezer in the back of his truck with meat for sale, and we have about 2 visits a year from a religious group.  They ignore the No Soliciting, No Trespassing, and Private Property signs that are quite visible on my property.  If I'm here alone, I do not go to the door, but always write down the type of vehicle, and license plate number if I can get it.   

Trusted Contributor

I will open front door(then have security screendoor) and just say NO! and slam the door.  They go away, it is faster,less stress on me.--------tedEbear

Super Contributor

Blue Ocean, where do live that you have that many solicitors especially in 1 day? I certainly would notify the police because most places don't allow it. Also coming back that many times makes me think they are scoping out your place very thoughly. I have never had that many in all my years of living in a big suburb.

Diamonds22

Frequent Contributor

@Q4u That's hilarious that your friend blows a whistle into the phone when a solicitor calls! I haven't had a landline in years but if I did that's a great idea. I laughed so hard when I read that!!Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Before our dog passed away, I kept the doorbell turned off.  It would send him tearing through the house when he heard it ring.  So, solicitors weren't too much of a bother.

If they knock or ring the bell now, I ignore it.  I can easily see who is at the front door.  If they persist, I will open one of the small windows that flank my fireplace, and respond to them that way.

I will never open the door to anyone I don't know.  Too many home invasions, etc.

I'm suspecting that not many people on our road open for solicitors, because we haven't had many lately.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

sign

@denisemb  LOL!!!!