Respected Contributor

@char1976 You have the option of collecting on your husband's social security when you reach 62..  It's at least 50% of his.  Check with Soc. Security for the exact amount.  When you reach 66, you can then apply to receive yours.

There is a difference in dollars between collecting at 62 or 66.  The difference might not seem to matter now but further down the line it could make a big difference.

Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda That's not the reason so many of us opt to take it early.   I was told by the agent at Social Security that it would make more sense $ in my case to collect at 62.  Had nothing to do with not living till 65.  

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@char1976 You have the option of collecting on your husband's social security when you reach 62..  It's at least 50% of his.  Check with Soc. Security for the exact amount.  When you reach 66, you can then apply to receive yours.

There is a difference in dollars between collecting at 62 or 66.  The difference might not seem to matter now but further down the line it could make a big difference.

Since she's only 62, she wouldn't get half of his SS benefit.

Respected Contributor

I took mine at 62 for 2 reasons:  1. When I combined my SS with my pension, the total amount seemed like a reasonable income. I didn't want to feel like I didn't have enough money to do the things I enjoy and to have the pets that I love.

2. My mom lived to be 88 however, she was first diagnosed with dementia at age 79. Both her brothers same thing.  With this in mind, my financial advisor asked me, did I want extra $ to spend now when I could still enjoy it, or later, when the nursing home is just going to take it anyway? I took the $ and I'm enjoying it. Smiley Very Happy

Contributor

I'm pretty sure they changed the rules a few years back and don't allow you to suspend taking your benefits while getting your spouses. Affects those born after Jan 1, 1954. It was a good statagyy while it lasted.

Valued Contributor

Take SS AT 62.I took it at 63 no regrets. As you see what a woirld we live in now

we all might be dead soon.enjoy it now since you earned it.you never know what tomorrow brings....

Trusted Contributor

Everybody lives there lives on what is best for them.  I personally did not have the option to wait to collect SS.  My husband of 43 yrs of marriage, (superman) battled cancer for over 3 years....between the major surgeries, chemo, radiation, and drugs it drained us financially. When he passed I was left with nothing....sold everything to keep him alive and a roof over our heads....I am in transitioin starting over from scratch at 62....after superman passed I got sick with a blood disorder as I was caregiver position for him....was not easy....I lived on less than $500 a month until my survivors benefits.  Since I do get ss disabilty for my illness, I did not have the choice to opt in early or later.....choose with your gut...its your life....it's all good either way Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

Since she's only 62, she wouldn't get half of his SS benefit.

No she would not get half and if I recall, I might be wrong, but she cannot collect under his account until he has applied for benefits.  

Honored Contributor

I took mine at 62 and I'm glad I did. One reminder to note is that you will not be eligible on Social Security for Medicare until 65. Once on Social Eecurity you can opt for Medicare at age 65 but you will pay a bit more monthly until you turn 65. If you go with early SS, make sure you know what insurance cipoverage you will have.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@char1976 wrote:

I was considering on siging up for early social security this year. I'll be 62 this year and retired. I retired at 56 and was working seasonal at a state park.. But due to CD-19 they are not hiring the seasonal back yet from last year due to a hiring freeze. Hubby thought i should wait until age 66. I don't see much difference in waiting and if I wanted to work we ive in a rual area so there aren't that many jobs avaiable. I draw 2 retirement checks so working is just my spending money for me. Just curious what anybody thought.. Thanks.

@char1976 - I started drawing mine at 62.  I have two small pensions and wanted the money.  We didn't NEED it to live, but wanted it.  Bird in the hand. 

I am 64 1/2 now.  No regrets. 

My son now says, you will get more by waiting till your 65. Check in with S/S. I got it at 62, but that was many moons ago, I guess now it's better to wait if you can. Hope that helps.