Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security

[ Edited ]

@char1976 

I agree with  @hckynut 

When I was 62( and a widow)  my accountant had me start collecting. (on my Hubby's SS) 

I wanted to wait. ....but he explained it that  same way...

Honored Contributor

If you wait and die before 66 will anyone, i.e. your husband, benefit from what you paid in?  

If the answer is no that I would start at the early age.

Honored Contributor

I started taking mine at 62, and haven't regretted it for a moment. I looked at it this way, I'm here now, later, who knows ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

If you wait you get more $$. I'd wait as long as I could. 8% a year is a good return. Multiply that by all the years you miss and it adds up.

Honored Contributor

I agree about looking at the numbers.  Then, contemplate how much more in dollars you would end up with each way.

For example, the guy at SS showed me the basic numbers and, sure, it looks appealing to wait and get more per month.  But then he showed me the number of dollars MORE I would end up with if I started earlier.  I went ahead and did that.

That was my choice.  Yours is yours, of course.  Smiley Happy  Just be sure to look at the entire picture and see which way is better for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit wrote:

If you wait you get more $$. I'd wait as long as I could. 8% a year is a good return. Multiply that by all the years you miss and it adds up.

Nope!!!  It really doesn't!  (just sayin)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took mine at 62.  I retired from my job at 56 and did have a retirement from there.  I did the math and figured that  for 3 years no medicare taken out it would have taken me nearly 15 years to show any benefit by waiting and maybe I wouldn't live that long.  I also was able to buy a new vehicle and  to save half of my SS each month so that was earning money for me.  I know too many who never made it to collect the higher amount for any length of time to make out better.

Like others stated it is a decision  you need to make for your own reasons. 

Esteemed Contributor

I feel sorry for those who take it early because they think they may not live to collect it later. I think it's sad to live thinking that way. 

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

FYI:If you start receiving benefits at age 66 you get 100 percent of your monthly benefit. If you delay receiving retirement benefits until after your full retirement age, your monthly benefit continues to increase. ... 70, you'll get 132 percent of the monthly benefit

because you delayed getting benefits for 48 months.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+it+best+to+wait+until+70+years+to+take+social+security&oq=is+it+b...

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I took mine at 62.  I retired from my job at 56 and did have a retirement from there.  I did the math and figured that  for 3 years no medicare taken out it would have taken me nearly 15 years to show any benefit and maybe I wouldn't live that long.  I also was able to buy a new vehicle and  to save half of my SS each month so that was earning money for me.  I know too many who never made it to collect the higher amount for any length of time to make out better.

Like others stated it is a decision  you need to make for your own reasons. 

This is another reason it also worked out best for me to start earlier.  During these years I have not needed to use it and because I don't think we have enough for actual retirement (if HE stops working), I've been saving like crazy to try and get to a point where I feel secure.  I'm only 65 right now and have managed to stash away a good chunk.