Respected Contributor

Re: Social Security Headache

@bikerbabe wrote:
Getting approval on SSD can be terrible and a long process even though you do get back payments when it’s finally approved. It can take a loooooong time.

yes exactly. Months. And being declined the first time is not uncommon. That's why a lot of lawyers specialize in SS law. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I'm guessing that the OP's son is on SS disability or she is trying to navigate that application process. Whole different animal than a senior signing up for retirement payments. My son received SS disability in his early twenties until his death at twenty-nine, for emotional impairment. The application process was long and very intricate. Involved testing, psych evals etc. Tons of detailed documentation was required- from mental health professionals, me.Mental illness that prevents an individual from holding a job or being able to function normally, is harder to prove than an obvious physical or medical disability. 

@fairydogmother  I am so sorry for the loss of your son and the difficulty you had to go through to facilitate his care.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Mersha   thank you. He was a difficult child and a troubled young man. His motorcycle accident was ten years ago in November 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

my daughter in law/son are in the same ring with their 18 yr old son. He is severe autistic, they tried to get SS for their son denied. daughter in law is going to check out a lawyers next.

Valued Contributor

I apologize, I should have been specific.
I've navigated the process since my son was a child.
I'm not sharing fir people to comment, I needed a perspective from other experiences.
For the first time my son can and has held a job. He doesn't earn a great deal, but enough to perform as a "normal" person with living costs.
They hit me out of left field with a astronomical overpayment and it's been a nightmare. Not so much financially but they have blamed me. I am not paid, don't seek earnings, I simply care for my son and all his re quirements. I was posting if possibly anyone has had the same issue.
Honored Contributor

Somebody wrote a detailed description of her experience with SSD and a child or sibling just a couple days ago.  Anybody remember the thread?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

my daughter in law/son are in the same ring with their 18 yr old son. He is severe autistic, they tried to get SS for their son denied. daughter in law is going to check out a lawyers next.

@viva923  It might be worth having your DIL contact the office of her Representative in the House.

Many times, they can step in and get things moving for you. 

Good luck!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy She stated in another post that she is her disabled son's caregiver. It's perfectly fine to be paid to do this, many people do it. 

Respected Contributor

@katie1859 wrote:
Inefficient, Ignorant, and Irresponsible.
The system is flawed and rigged. I'm already in the ring with gloves on and here we go.
As a Caregiver for a son with Autism/Psychosis, I'm not tolerating SS bullcrap.
Anyone comiserate??

@katie1859 Commiserate on what exactly?

Honored Contributor

@katie1859 wrote:

They hit me out of left field with a astronomical overpayment and it's been a nightmare.

@katie1859   If your son is on SSI he can only earn so much a month before they reduce or cut off the SSI.  You will need to visit the SSI government website for the exact amount.

Same w/SSDI.  You can earn but so much.  The amount may be higher than someone on SSI

Since you are the caregiver, I am assuming you did not notify SS your son was working?  Completed the "Ticket To Work"  application?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif