Respected Contributor

Re: So tired of gloom and doom

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

well i was rather blase about the whole thing until now. we have 3 cases of the virus within 25 mile radius and a severly understaffed hospital.

We, too, have at least 3 cases. None of our hospitals (and we have at least 5) are understaffed more than normal. 

Valued Contributor

I don’t watch the news on a regular and even I’m tired of hearing about. The news is sensationalizing it and causing people to overreact and panic.

I’m not worried about it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll start by saying I was a volunteer responder to Katrina.

The news prior to the storm was clear "this is gonna be the storm of the century, get prepared and evacuate".

The response to those who did not prep or couldn't evacuate? Why didn't you listen to the news??!!

A FB post went viral during Superstorm Sandy: " We're in the dark, we're cold and hungry! What should we do" ?!

Most people these days don't stock a pantry, let alone cook or bake. If people are mainly buying food, water and everyday supplies that get used anyway, what is the big deal?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well, you all should feel very blessed.

Some of us have things in our lives that are gloom and doom and some of us feel vulnerable and are afraid.  

Some of us haven't lived a life where we feel safe and secure, and some have.  There are huge differences in all of us, and in our experiences, backgrounds, and situations in life.

Lots of us have had things happen that cause PTSD, or simply make us fearful because a lot has happened.

If you are not fearful, don't have issues that make you cautious, be happy about that.  But why try to shame people who are afraid?  Shouldn't we have sympathy for those people?

Yes, there is entirely too much judgement here. You should never tell people how to feel.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I am not in panic mode, not stockpiling, living my life but don't have my head in the sand either. It's spreading throuout the world.  I want facts not frenzy. There are certain folks that are more high risk than others, like me, so being more cautious, but not panicking, makes sense.  For others it can be no more dangerous than the common cold. 

The media needs to tone down the hysteria and report the facts in a calm professional manner. Some will panic, some will take reasonable precautions, some will ignore the whole thing, we all make our own choices.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That virus is slowly  showing up in more  areas of the U.S.

Reports of cases in more states are coming in all the time.  I don't see too much media overkill on this topic,  just reports of more cases or comments from people in business and health care as to what effect it's having.  Also some  analysts' comments on what it's doing to businesss and the flow of goods and services to consumers.

While I don't feel particularly fearful, I do choose to be informed  and cautious.  Can't see any point in being judgmental about the feelings  or apprehension of others, who probably have their reasons.

This unfortunate virus contagion is bound to have  a dramatic , negative effect on our economy, even if it doesn't make too many people sick. 

Looks like airlines, amusement parks, movie theaters, restaurants, stores and many other businesses might not do well for a while as people stay home more.

One bright spot in all this..........mortgage rates are dirt cheap and maybe getting cheaper.  If you need to buy a home or refinance, a mortgage, this is a nice point in history to consider it.

Respected Contributor

This winter ( Jan and Feb) I have had 3 relatives who have had fairly severe viruses with lung congestion. Hight temps. One was tested for flu, strep and cultured. Lasted a good week.

All tests came back negative for identifying the usual pathogen. Nothing came back positive. They wonder if this virus has not already been around?

We live in the Midwest. No 'known cases' in our state.

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Turned off the news this morning, can't stand to listen to all the hysteria.  This board is just as bad.

Yep.  Let's start a thread about it, to say how tired we are of hearing about it.  Which in turn will create more misinformation.  

A couple of FB groups I post in exclusively about cruising have stopped allowing any discussion about Covid-10 because it was getting ridiculous and a lot of what was being said wasn't true.  

Respected Contributor

I did lots of errands and shopping this past weekend.  Everywhere I went, it was business, as usual. 

I expected to see fewer at my Planet Fitness. Gyms can be a problem, at their best. But, mine was super crowded.  

Stores were heavily stocked with 'emergecy' items and there was no gouging.  In fact, my grocery had great coupons for such. I always keep supplies on hand and didn't need extra, but picked up a few due to sales. I didn't see a single shopper overfilling their carts, or appearing as though they're hoarding.

Folks in general were jovial and friendly.  I didn't notice anyone looking unseemly paranoid. Everyone I talked to just said they're taking typical flu season precautions. 

So, here, things are calm.  Even though we are a military city that has taken evacuees, folks don't seem worried. Perhaps because so many of our military families have faced challenges far greater than this.  Most of us have. 

Honored Contributor

@LaurenCats4 wrote:

The media and government are giddy to exploit anything to try and gain an advantage. Nothing new. Just live your life, be happy, be grateful, and educate yourself. Life is good!❤

Our local news was talking about this this morning.  They said people are complaining about the media coverage of this and how they feel the media is hyping this and causing people to become hysterical.  The newscasters response was that there really isn't anything newsworthy to report on.  It's politics or this so they keep reporting on it.