Honored Contributor

Re: So tired of gloom and doom

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox 

Everyone has choices as an adult. How they choose to live and/or look at their life, and that around them, is strictly up to them. I don't have a compromised immune system, but other parts of body organs that keep me alive have been permanently damaged.

If I looked at gloom and doom during many years of my life, it would have made those times worse than necessary. My key word is Optimism, regardless of "the now"! Only the individual can choose how they look at life, I choose love and happiness regardless of the times or the happenings.

Most people on these forums have more good in their lives than bad, but somehow or for some reason, many choose to forget those things when there are times they dislike happening around them. 

Not the kind of life I live, or plan or living, whatever time I may have left. I see living each day exactly the same way as I have in the past.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Well, you all should feel very blessed.

Some of us have things in our lives that are gloom and doom and some of us feel vulnerable and are afraid.  

Some of us haven't lived a life where we feel safe and secure, and some have.  There are huge differences in all of us, and in our experiences, backgrounds, and situations in life.

Lots of us have had things happen that cause PTSD, or simply make us fearful because a lot has happened.

If you are not fearful, don't have issues that make you cautious, be happy about that.  But why try to shame people who are afraid?  Shouldn't we have sympathy for those people?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As am I. I have diabetes (which, because of kidney failure, is NOT being treated at this time), chronic heart failure, and am on dialysis. So I, too, have a compromised immune system but am going about my life almost the same. What I do is wash my hands more than normal. That's it. 

And I'm not going to feel sorry for those trying to create hysteria about COVID-19. Others, maybe. But not those.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I agree with most of you and have not altered the way I live my life -- there is also a reality in terms of making sure you have what you need -- the same as always.  The difference now is that people are losing their minds and shelves are bare for many items.  A friend's husband works at Costco.  I asked her yesterday what he has said about what is going on there.  Her response:

"John worked today and he said it was a nightmare.  Two customers had a fight and an employee got  hit.  They ran out of water.  They were also low on toilet paper.”   

Regular Contributor

The media and government are giddy to exploit anything to try and gain an advantage. Nothing new. Just live your life, be happy, be grateful, and educate yourself. Life is good!❤

Honored Contributor

How did our parents manage World Wars and a Great Depression?

The constant FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) is wearing thin.  Every time I feel the stress I remind myself that a large segment of the population believes the planet is going to die in ten to twelve years and take us with it.

So, if this is true, why are we fretting over a virus, our retirement savings and the Royal Family?  Something isn't adding up.

I'm with Doris Day: Que sera, sera.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

well i was rather blase about the whole thing until now. we have 3 cases of the virus within 25 mile radius and a severly understaffed hospital.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our newspaper has had the Virus as front page headlines for over a week. Yesterday, big headline at the top of the front page, that the man died in Washington. Today big headlines that a second person died.

Then today there was an article with a byline of Associated Press. It stated "worried Americans swarmed stores to stock up on basic goods such as bottled water, canned foods, and toilet paper."

Three paragraphs later in the same article, "Stores such as Costco sold out of toilet paper,  bottled water, and hand sanitizer."

Reminds me of the "snow panic". Anytime we were to get a snow storm the TV and papers would be non-stop coverage. Well this year we have had only trace amounts of snow. So they have to have something to chatter about.

PS - I went to Costco this afternoon. It was insane. I don't think it was ever that crowded around Christmas time. It seemed like every cart had at least 2 cases of water and 2 huge packages of paper towels. 

I only wanted two things. I think that is the only reason I got out of there. If I had taken a cart when I entered the store, I bet I would be stuck in an isle.

Honored Contributor

To me it appears that the media is overkilling it and frankly I'm tired of seeing it. But if the news people didn't cover this story then they would get blamed for not covering it enough. They can't win for losing.

Respected Contributor

I am not in panic mode. But trying to be sensible.

My youngest works in the restaurant business. He has had strep throat for the last week and has felt terrible. He has stayed home so as to not pass the bug, but also because he was miserable. We brought him food and necessities.  We have always told him to have a bit of non perishable items in case he wasn't feeling well, and he laughed at us. He now has a list for things to have----soups, canned goods etc.

I have a friend who has had the "regular" flu for over a month. Going out shopping was not something she was able to do.

My vision is poor and so mr henny is the chauffeur. If he were sick it would be difficult.

Okay, enough whining and sniveling. 

Enjoy life have a good day.