Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 41,041
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I don't buy a huge amount of fast food but I do get salads in the summertime and occasionally chicken in some form.  In early December I went to KFC and ordered a pot pie.  When I got home and looked at it, I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was about the size of a big muffin.

 

Today I got a salad at Wendy's....i get them frequently in the summer but haven't had one for several months.  Once again, I was shocked at the size.  It has shrunk to the size of a small restaurant side salad.

 

I will not buy either of these again.  Don't these places realize people buy these items as entrees and expect them to be a meal?  Now they are little more than an appetizer.  I may be cured of the fast food habit.

 

Has anyone else noticed the amazing shrinking fast food?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,910
Registered: ‎05-08-2017

I think it is a good thing.

 

Our eyes have become too accustomed to seeing huge portions which deceive people into thinking that is a serving. 

 

Those huge portions are at least double what a real serving should be.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,588
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I would expect a serving of salad to be large.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,396
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I don't eat at either KFC or Wendy's but, if they're going to shrink the size of the portions, have they also shrunk the price?

 

I doubt I need an answer to that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 41,041
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I think it is a good thing.

 

Our eyes have become too accustomed to seeing huge portions which deceive people into thinking that is a serving. 

 

Those huge portions are at least double what a real serving should be.  


@Ms tyrion2.  The servings have never been huge or even large.  They need to be large enough to satisfy the hunger of the average person at mealtime.  Now they are not.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-12-2018

I get infuriated when corporations cut corners for their own greedy profit.  Fast food chains are no different, if they think they can get away with it.  The price stays the same but the product shrinks.

 

The size of an American portion of food is another topic altogether.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Posts: 198
Registered: ‎07-14-2013

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't buy a huge amount of fast food but I do get salads in the summertime and occasionally chicken in some form.  In early December I went to KFC and ordered a pot pie.  When I got home and looked at it, I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was about the size of a big muffin.

 

Today I got a salad at Wendy's....i get them frequently in the summer but haven't had one for several months.  Once again, I was shocked at the size.  It has shrunk to the size of a small restaurant side salad.

 

I will not buy either of these again.  Don't these places realize people buy these items as entrees and expect them to be a meal?  Now they are little more than an appetizer.  I may be cured of the fast food habit.

 

Has anyone else noticed the amazing shrinking fast food?


At the Wendy's that I go to they have two sizes of salads, small and large.  Perhaps they gave you the small one which is like a side salad.

 

I don't know about KFC, but a lot of places are trying to lower their calorie counts so that could account for the smaller size.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 916
Registered: ‎10-12-2016

@Kachina624, the only fast food I'll eat is Chick-Fil-A.  And not often.  But I must say, their chicken is always bigger (and always delicious) than their bun.  And they have the best coffee (I'm a black coffee drinker) I've ever had.  They buy from Thrive, a group of coffee bean growers/owners that bring the best beans to the market.  They don't make tons of money from their beans, but take pride in what they do.  The partnership with them and Chick-Fil-A has been a win/win..

 

In general I love Chick-Fil-A's attitude towards business, franchisees and employees.  I also appreciate they don't cave to what other's think they should cave to.  I respect that they stay true to THEIR values and belief systems, regardless of which way the tide flows.


@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't buy a huge amount of fast food but I do get salads in the summertime and occasionally chicken in some form.  In early December I went to KFC and ordered a pot pie.  When I got home and looked at it, I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was about the size of a big muffin.

 

Today I got a salad at Wendy's....i get them frequently in the summer but haven't had one for several months.  Once again, I was shocked at the size.  It has shrunk to the size of a small restaurant side salad.

 

I will not buy either of these again.  Don't these places realize people buy these items as entrees and expect them to be a meal?  Now they are little more than an appetizer.  I may be cured of the fast food habit.

 

Has anyone else noticed the amazing shrinking fast food?



ho and what they are.  A rarity today.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 41,041
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Katluver925 wrote:




At the Wendy's that I go to they have two sizes of salads, small and large.  Perhaps they gave you the small one which is like a side salad.

I don't know about KFC, but a lot of places are trying to lower their calorie counts so that could account for the smaller size.


@Katluver925.  We had a conversation about the size and I ordered the full size, not the half.  It was $6.99, and I didn't even get dressing.  I think they're more concerned about the almighty dollar more than the calorie.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,916
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

We rarely eat fast food only if a day I'm lazy or he wants something quick.

 

Imagine my surprise at the 1) size of burger (fish sandwich) and 2) PRICE😯😯😯

 

McD had deal buy 2 sandwiches for $5.  I got fish --( a 2"x2" piece of fish on 5" roll -- was ******) , large fries, soda and one $1 cheeseburger.  Price $13.67🙄.

 

worse food we had in a long time ...and last at these prices!😡  we could go to nice diner or restaurant for a few $$ more & get better food and it's hot.