Honored Contributor

I have never had a chick fil A, but it seems to be popular. Someday ,if I find a restaurant, I will give one a try

Trusted Contributor

i had a full size southwest avocado salad in wendy’s last week, and it was pretty big. i’ll go half size next salad

craving. 

Esteemed Contributor

Shrinking sizes is not limited to fast food, just look at supermarket foods.  I think the two primary reasons behind the shrinkage is cost savings (often by fooling the eye of the consumer) and to meet specific nutritional guidelines.

I've found that foods that once served two are now labeled to serve 2.5 or 3.  Same number of ounces but smaller portions therefore fewer calories, etc. per serving.  This also allows the manufacturer to use specific words in their advertising--low calorie, healthy, etc.

For example Campbell's tomato soup.  The same 10-3/4 can now contains 2.5 servings but the serving size has been reduced to 1/2 cup at 90 calories.

Remember when canned tuna was six ounces?  Over the years it has been reduced in half ounce increments to the current 5 ouncces with a drained (net) weight of 4 ounces but now serves 2 at 1/4 cup.

The list is endless and even if the product contains the same weight it now serves more.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Perhaps posting those calories is one motivating factor. If so, all the better. People need to be aware of the amount of food they're consuming.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

The irony, not long ago there was all the controversy of "super sized" fast food,  now "smaller sized" fast food.  If the public continues to demand that fast food workers make $15 an hour, the prices will go up and the portions will become smaller.  Basic economics.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@Marp@Kachina624  So  true on the fast food and supermarket.  I thought it was me.  I love Arby's turkey sandwiches and always ask for extra turkey.  Now they charge me over $7.00 for just a sandwich but at times the turkey is still very meager.  My husband wanted cookies so I caved and bought Keebler's pecan sandies.  I was shocked when I opened the package.  The cookies are probably 1/3 the size they used to be.  21 cookies for 11.2 oz. and still $5.00.  Never make that mistake again.  And ice cream containers are practically becoming single serve portions.

Honored Contributor

I have always felt one of the biggest rip-offs at any fast food place were the salads.  Most of them are iceberg lettuce and a few measly toppings and they cost way too much.  You don't get cheaper then iceberg.

I haven't really noticed because about the only "fast food" I do is Subway and the subs are obviously the same size.  Once in a great while I will get a roast beef from Arby's and I haven't notice that they've gotten smaller.     

Honored Contributor

DH and recently stopped at Wendy's when we were on the road, he wanted a frosty....we also got a sandwiches...they were  awful.....won't be going back, if he wants a Frosty....we will stop for that but not food.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shrinking Fast Food

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I haven't eaten fast food in years, but ,it wouldn't surprise me ,at all.

Our only indulgance is Culver's, and haven't noticed their sizes changing lately.

Esteemed Contributor

That would be disappointing.  Wendy’s is one of the few fast food places where I’ll eat but haven’t been to one in a while.  I like their salads and chili. I don't eat fast food often so I have noticed anything yet.