Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC 

I am not  and have ever have been, an "impulse buyer of anything. Most of what I buy we need, and has a function. What is going on in life has no bearing on "my shopping".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've spent a lot this past week but it's really only stocking up on essentials...a lot of stuff that I don't usually buy but good to have for an emergency.

Esteemed Contributor

Grocery stop once a week during EOP - early old people hours. Don't spend a lot of money and also not tempted to hoard. Also putting groceries on son's doorstep since he has an active 19 month old son. We don't want kiddo in stores. He was in NICU when born and has spring allergies. 

I practice washing clothes once I return home so even if I feel like going somewhere, I think about that and change my mind. Filling up gas tank much less now.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I couldn't sleep last night and went onto Nordstrom, and there were a lot of new markdowns on shoes and clothing to 50 percent and lower.  I purchased some Clinique concealer I am running short on, but also an Eileen Fisher Alpaca sweater at 50 or 55% off.  It was still a little pricey but it looked like a good bet for my needs.  If not, Nordstrom is like the Q--returns are not a problem.  Returns are free--but of course that policy makes the items more costly.

I had decided to not shop til things were better.  It is a stress-related habit of mine I'd like to break. 

But honestly, it was a little bit of "normal" behavior in a sea of unknowns.  So I enjoyed it.  At one time I had five on-sale items in my cart, but I settled for the sweater, b/c my favorite cardigan has a hole in it at the back of the neck and I did think I needed a replacement.  Five wouldn't have felt good, but that one item did feel appropriate.

Honored Contributor

Yes but not sure when I'll go again.

I'm not sure but I had very few things on my list - milk, eggs, gatorade & bread.  Of course, I usually browse the aisles and end up getting other things.

Not today, I seriously think I had a "anxiety" or something moment!

Store was so crowded, long checkout lines, shelves bare minimum.  No fresh meats, bread, eggs.

It was a overwhelming experience to see this!  Earlier in the week I was at the store and nothing like this!

I lost my focus -- bought 2 rolls and gatorade.  Couldn't wait to get out of the store...unless I truly need it I think I'll stay home!

Respected Contributor

I did buy a few fashion items before all this happened but since I am staying home I doubt if I will ever wear them. I was really looking forward to going out a little bit more than I normally do. 

I am still trying to find someone to go grocery shopping for me. I noticed on the news there are 12 cases recorded and that doesn't seem like a lot but since we don't know who really has it and it seems like grocery stores filter a ton of people thru there which seems like one of the worst places to shop at. I was talking to a girl that works at the store and she said people were stealing the dispensers at the registers. She was nice enough to bring me tp and I just met her. The employees are getting first dibs at the tp. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Shopping, yes or no

[ Edited ]

Watching the cooking shows today (I love cooking shows) makes things feel a bit normal. But things aren't normal. I'm saving money right when brick and mortor stores need our business. But of they yave no website, its hard for them. I even tried to buy some spices from an online spice company whose stores had to be shuttered in many places, but their website doesnt seem to be working. Maybe it's a sign I need to hang onto my money. As someone said here, its all so uncertain.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to toliet paper I"m defeated just got another email saying my order was cancelled. I give up. when what I got is gone we're using kleenex best I can do.

I"m thowing in the towel !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

When it comes to toliet paper I"m defeated just got another email saying my order was cancelled. I give up. when what I got is gone we're using kleenex best I can do.

I"m thowing in the towel !

@SharkE -please don't flush the Kleenex. The system can't handle processing Kleenex.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

I had my husband get up at 6:00 to get in line at our local store that has been giving out either 1 -4 pack or 1 -12 pack if you are in line before 7:30.  Well, today they had NONE  only paper towels.

When he got there == he said the line was around the building ...totally not even waiting!

I went to WM Neighborhood store and the shelves had about 13 packages of Northern and Angel Soft.  I don't need them but was sending up a care package to my kids of whatever I can find.  

I was lucky to score 1- 4 pack.  Tomorrow is another day!!!

I would really like to know who started this insanity with TP ... its frustrating and who knows what's the best time to hit the stores!!!

I feel your pain!!!  My kids can't even get milk or juice for their kids let alone TP -- someone needs to stop this insanity!!!