Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm with you but it particularly bugs me, I don't why but it does irritate me a lot, is when you're at someones house, or your own, in the summer for a barbecue and there's a pool and when it's time to sit down to eat the men come to the table in just their swim trunks. Geez, put on a T-shirt till you're done eating and ready to leave the table. 

hmmm, ok 

Don't come to my house then. I grew up with a pool and have had a pool in most of the houses we've lived in. We don't make people go change before eating outside at the table on a pool and bbq day. Women, men, kids all in their bathing suits. 

I don't expect anyone to go change their clothes, just the men to put on a T-Shirt while eating. Something about seeing hair hanging down from sweaty armpits while I'm eating just yucks me out. Wish I could be like you and not give a hoot but what can I tell you, can't help it.

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

I have never seen men in public places without their shirts.  But I don't like when men wear shorts to work in an office.  I don't want to see their hairy legs.

For me hairy legs are manly.  Boobs and a big belly are not!  

What type of office allows men or women employees to wear shorts?  I've never seen that.

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I don't find the human body disgusting or shameful so a shirtless man doesn't faze me at all.  I wish that we weren't so hung up and quick to S**ualize everything so that woman could feel comfortable as well.

____

@reiki604  Are you saying you think women should be topless in public as well?  If so, would you put any restrictions on this or extend it to everywhere?

I think it would depend on the individual. Personally, I would like the freedom on my own lawn if the attitude of those around me would be not of judgment or prurient interest, but one of disinterest and acceptance.

It is a fantasy though due to the socialization and cultural norms of this country.

@reiki604  Thanks for the info.  My neighbors on both sides of my house have children ages 3-13.  Do you think it's appropriate under these circumstances?  If it depends on the individual, what restrictions, if any, should be put on female toplessness in society?  Just the beaches and people's own yards or on public streets and parks?  I would say in their own yards if they have fencing/shrubs for privacy and on nude beaches.  If someone is sunbathing nude with reasonable privacy fencing and someone sees them, it's the looker's problem because that takes effort.

@Ms X, I would love to answer you but my response has been poofed a couple of times now. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...........LOL!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Shirtless Men

[ Edited ]

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

I have never seen men in public places without their shirts.  But I don't like when men wear shorts to work in an office.  I don't want to see their hairy legs.

What type of office allows men or women employees to wear shorts?  I've never seen that.

They do where I work.  Nobody wears cutoffs or short shorts.  A few men wear bermudas & the women are more likely to wear capris rather than shorts.  Not everyone dresses that way, & I don't ever wear shorts in public.  Guess it all depends on where one works.

Respected Contributor

Oh my fellow posters, I have had some laugh out loud moments reading this thread. I occasionally see shirtless men in public, most often when they are taking a morning walk or biking. Some are very unsightly, but if they don't care, I guess we have to put up with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Where the heck do you live???  Do you see pantless men too...lol. Perhaps I just live in a classier part of country.  Other than beaches, pools, privacy of their own yards or decks; I never see shirtless men out and about in public.  I don't believe I ever have seen such a thing. My neighbor does do yard work in sleeveless undershirts but that's fine.  That one guy you see is tacky and classless but it's hard to believe you see a lot of shirtless men in social situations 

Ditto!!!

Respected Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

They do where I work.  Nobody wears cutoffs or short shorts.  A few men wear bermudas & the women are more likely to wear capris rather than shorts.  Not everyone dresses that way, & I don't ever wear shorts in public.  Guess it all depends on where one works.

More like what part part of the country you live in.  In my 56 years, I have never seen shorts in the workplace.  Not even in  very small local businesses.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Shirtless Men

[ Edited ]

@Chrystaltree2 Colorado; private university.  Things are a lot more casual in academia than they are in the corporate world.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the students & the faculty.  LOL!

Oh, BTW, I don't think my community lacks class.  Both Condoleeza Rice & Madeline Albright attended this university.  Doesn't matter what their politics are; they are both accomplished women with a lot of class.

Respected Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

@Chrystaltree2 Colorado; private university.  Things are a lot more casual in academia than they are in the corpirate when rld.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the students & the faculty.  LOL!

Oh, BTW, I don't think my community lacks class.  Both Condoleeza Rice & Madeline Albright attended this university.  Doesn't matter what their politics are; they are both accomphed women with a link t of class. 

Colleges..... they have offices but colleges really aren't office settings.  Of course, you'd see shorts and other casual wear in a college or university.  I'm pretty sure Condoleeze and Madeline didn't dress like they were secretary of state back in the day....lol.   

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@BlingQueen022  It must be awful working construction in the middle of summer with a shirt on.  I'd imagine a reasonable boss would let them at least wear a net tank top for modesty while still having some relief.

I find it shocking that someone had a neighbor lady who used to sunbathe topless.  If she was in full view of families, that's beyond the pale.  I'm surprised no one called the cops.  Imagine little kids seeing that all the time.

@Ms X

Perhaps we are thinking of two entirely different garments, but, IMO, a net tank top does NOT offer any "modesty".   LOL