Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm with you but it particularly bugs me, I don't why but it does irritate me a lot, is when you're at someones house, or your own, in the summer for a barbecue and there's a pool and when it's time to sit down to eat the men come to the table in just their swim trunks. Geez, put on a T-shirt till you're done eating and ready to leave the table. 

OMG - my f-i-l did this at one of our back yard barbecues and we don't even have a pool.

Basically told my m-i-l to go to he!! when she said something to him about it.

I was mortified because we had neighbors and friends here too.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

I don't find the human body disgusting or shameful so a shirtless man doesn't faze me at all.  I wish that we weren't so hung up and quick to S**ualize everything so that woman could feel comfortable as well.

Exactly. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm with you but it particularly bugs me, I don't why but it does irritate me a lot, is when you're at someones house, or your own, in the summer for a barbecue and there's a pool and when it's time to sit down to eat the men come to the table in just their swim trunks. Geez, put on a T-shirt till you're done eating and ready to leave the table. 

hmmm, ok 

Don't come to my house then. I grew up with a pool and have had a pool in most of the houses we've lived in. We don't make people go change before eating outside at the table on a pool and bbq day. Women, men, kids all in their bathing suits. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I don't find the human body disgusting or shameful so a shirtless man doesn't faze me at all.  I wish that we weren't so hung up and quick to S**ualize everything so that woman could feel comfortable as well.

____

@reiki604  Are you saying you think women should be topless in public as well?  If so, would you put any restrictions on this or extend it to everywhere?

I think it would depend on the individual. Personally, I would like the freedom on my own lawn if the attitude of those around me would be not of judgment or prurient interest, but one of disinterest and acceptance.

It is a fantasy though due to the socialization and cultural norms of this country.

@reiki604  Thanks for the info.  My neighbors on both sides of my house have children ages 3-13.  Do you think it's appropriate under these circumstances?  If it depends on the individual, what restrictions, if any, should be put on female toplessness in society?  Just the beaches and people's own yards or on public streets and parks?  I would say in their own yards if they have fencing/shrubs for privacy and on nude beaches.  If someone is sunbathing nude with reasonable privacy fencing and someone sees them, it's the looker's problem because that takes effort.

@Ms X In my ideal world children would be socialized to accept it as normal and natural. In the world in which we live I understand the need for privacy fences and such as that is the world we live in. 

In in returning to the original issue, since it is culturally acceptable for men to go topless, I find that just because a person doesn't like the way an individual man looks, It is considered disgusting. If a man is comfortable with his body then it is nobody else's business. There is far too much body shaming, denigration, and judgement when people should be minding their own business and worrying about themselves rather than others.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee ... I don't care to see shirtless men either. If it were an outdoor concert at a park that is on a lake, I would find that acceptable. Otherwise, no.

If someone is doing yard work in their own yard, that is their business. However, in the summer, I see particularly young guys strutting along trying to show off their physiques and get tan. Tacky!!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

Matthew McConnaughey is frequently photographed without a shirt.  I always joke that someone should buy him one!

Honored Contributor

Re: Shirtless Men

[ Edited ]

@sassenach1 wrote:

Matthew McConnaughey is frequently photographed without a shirt.  I always joke that someone should buy him one!

I can guarantee you it isn't MM delivering the papers on my street!   And if he were, I'd still want him to put on a shirt.  I don't find sweat rolling off a person's torso  all that attractive no matter what his physique and I don't care to see it poolside while eating either.

Respected Contributor

Where the heck do you live???  Do you see pantless men too...lol. Perhaps I just live in a classier part of country.  Other than beaches, pools, privacy of their own yards or decks; I never see shirtless men out and about in public.  I don't believe I ever have seen such a thing. My neighbor does do yard work in sleeveless undershirts but that's fine.  That one guy you see is tacky and classless but it's hard to believe you see a lot of shirtless men in social situations 

Respected Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

I have never seen men in public places without their shirts.  But I don't like when men wear shorts to work in an office.  I don't want to see their hairy legs.

For me hairy legs are manly.  Boobs and a big belly are not!  

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

____

@reiki604  Are you saying you think women should be topless in public as well?  If so, would you put any restrictions on this or extend it to everywhere?

I think it would depend on the individual. Personally, I would like the freedom on my own lawn if the attitude of those around me would be not of judgment or prurient interest, but one of disinterest and acceptance.

It is a fantasy though due to the socialization and cultural norms of this country.

@reiki604  Thanks for the info.  My neighbors on both sides of my house have children ages 3-13.  Do you think it's appropriate under these circumstances?  If it depends on the individual, what restrictions, if any, should be put on female toplessness in society?  Just the beaches and people's own yards or on public streets and parks?  I would say in their own yards if they have fencing/shrubs for privacy and on nude beaches.  If someone is sunbathing nude with reasonable privacy fencing and someone sees them, it's the looker's problem because that takes effort.

@Ms X, I answered you before I left the house but it seems that I forgot to press the post tab or the response was poofed for some reason. The jist of what I wrote was that given the cultural norms of today, a privacy fence or a visit to a designated nude beach is more appropriate for women in this society. I also said that body shaming anyone is not acceptable.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown