Honored Contributor

I keep my face shield in the car.  I wear it when inside a supermarket, pharmacy & BJ's.  Always w/a mask.  Too many snot nosed younguns running around for my comfort.

My shield also has this eye glass things built in.  Slips right over my glasses.

In the beginning of the pandemic, our local supermarket were giving out the shields for FREE to seniors.  Now they are selling them to anybody for $5.  I got the freebie.

I have eye goggles too that I keep in the car & a pair in the house!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

One of my favorite checkers at my store wears a shield only.  Has for months.  She has not yet been sick and works frequently. 

I wear a cloth mask.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Aren't the shields open at the bottom?  Wouldn't that allow germs to get in? I've always heard you should not wear the shield without also wearing a mask.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Aren't the shields open at the bottom?  Wouldn't that allow germs to get in? I've always heard you should not wear the shield without also wearing a mask.

Yes.  Alone, it is not a safety device.

Esteemed Contributor

No.   I've read that the shields and gators are not effective. 

I walked into a medical building for an appointment last week and was stopped at the door by a security officer.  I had on a 3-layer cloth mask.  The security officer told me that cloth masks were not allowed inside the building.  He handed me a paper mask to wear.  Once I took off my cloth mask and put on the paper mask, he let me inside.

Hmmm....  I had always thought that cloth masks were as safe as paper.  Guess not.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

One of my favorite checkers at my store wears a shield only.  Has for months.  She has not yet been sick and works frequently. 

I wear a cloth mask.

The shields are to protect the wearer from the spray of droplets in a close setting, usually medical, where they are always worn WITH a mask. They weren't developed to protect people from coronavirus.

The store clerk could be an asymptomatic carrier and have infected many people. The store should require her to wear a mask as well. I wouldn't go near her. AFAIC, someone wearing a shield alone is wearing nothing and is a potential hazard to everyone in the vicinity.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

No.   I've read that the shields and gators are not effective. 

I walked into a medical building for an appointment last week and was stopped at the door by a security officer.  I had on a 3-layer cloth mask.  The security officer told me that cloth masks were not allowed inside the building.  He handed me a paper mask to wear.  Once I took off my cloth mask and put on the paper mask, he let me inside.

Hmmm....  I had always thought that cloth masks were as safe as paper.  Guess not.

@tototwo I don't see why a cloth mask doesn't offer as much protection as a paper mask. That's getting really picky ( I have a lot of cloth masks, I would be annoyed if I couldn't wear them anymore). The only thing I can think of why cloth would be a problem, some people don't wash their masks often enough.

Honored Contributor

I've often thought about getting a shield for protecting my eyes.

Of course I would have a mask on, also.

I always wear at least sunglasses when I'm out.  I just feel they help to keep my mask secure around my nose. 

But most importanty--to protect me eyes.  I feel like eye protection is just as important.

I also wear safety sunglasses that are tinted a light silver so I can see well even at night.

It's easier to read labels with them on as opposed to my regular sunglass.  Plus, they are a closer fit than all of my sunglasses at the sides.

I wouldn't want a mask that was formed around glasses, I would want one that I could wear with my own sunglasses, and mask, of course.

Honored Contributor

I have no studies to back it up, but I don't see how they are any protection from this virus whatsoever. I'm surprised people don't see that. With a mask, it would seem to be added protection. Alone, they are simply kidding themselves. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Where is there an office that has the power to pass laws?

They can't pass laws, but they can have dress codes, including things that must be worn, or can't be worn, especially for health or safety reasons (think steel toe boots required in factories, clothing or jewelry pieces banned that might get caught in machines, etc.).